TORONTO, Sept. 10 /CNW/ - Students are calling today's announcement
regarding Ontario's Textbook and Technology Grant "too little too late." The
grant had been promised by the government last year, but details on how to
access the grant were only released today.
"The government should have made this announcement before school was in
session," said Shelley Melanson, Ontario Chairperson of the Canadian
Federation of Students. "A mail-in rebate that students won't see until
mid-semester does little to relieve the up-front financial burden they face at
the beginning of the semester."
There is also concern among students that part-time students will not be
able to access the textbook grant. "Countless students in Ontario often drop
to part-time studies because the financial burden is too much to bear," she
said. "It is unfortunate that the McGuinty government has been unable to apply
anything but band-aid solutions to the problems their tuition fee increases
This September, tuition fees increased between four and eight percent for
Ontario's students. The average increase in tuition fees this year is more
than eligible students will receive back from the textbook grant.
The announcement comes near the end of the McGuinty government's Reaching
Higher framework. Under this framework, tuition fees have soared as high as
36 percent over four years. In anticipation of the end of the framework,
Ontario students have been mobilising across Ontario to pressure the
government to drop tuition fees.
The Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario unites more than 300,000
college and university students and 35 students' unions across the province.
For further information:
For further information: Shelley Melanson, Chairperson: (416) 925-3825
or (416) 882-9927 (cell); Hildah Otieno, National Executive Representative:
(416) 925-3825 or (416) 702-2967 (cell)