MONTREAL, April 27 /CNW Telbec/ - From April 29 to May 1, the Mining in
Society show, an educational and interactive exhibition designed to
familiarize the public, youth in particular, with the mining industry, will be
held in Montreal for the first time. Combined with a Career Fair, this show is
a presentation of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
(CIM) in conjunction with Mining Industry Human Resources Council (MiHR).
Members of the media are invited to participate in the numerous
activities offered over this three-day period at the Palais des congrès de
Montréal. The show will house eight pavilions exhibiting the main areas of
mining and associated career opportunities, of which six will underline the
following themes: exploration, extraction, treatment, sustainable development,
product transformation, and education.
- A look into the challenges encountered by prospectors and geologists
in the field.
- The execution of a geophysical survey and iron and gold exploration.
- One of the oldest mineral collections in Canada presented by the
- The simulated operation of an hydraulic shovel.
- A video featuring gold pour production.
- An explanation and demonstration of the different processes utilized
to extract minerals from a rock face.
- The distribution of seedlings from a greenhouse located in an
- An exhibition of chrysotile artwork.
- A display of the infinite variety of items that would not exist if it
weren't for mining, from kitchen utensils to talcum powder to
- Semi-precious stone polishing demonstrations by the Montreal Gem &
- The Vancouver 2010 Winter Games Commemorative Coin Collection on
display from the Royal Canadian Mint.
- An overview of the various training programs (geology, exploration,
mining exploration, mineral processing, metallurgy) offered at
17 educational institutions in Quebec and Ontario.
In addition, visitors will have the opportunity to 'walk' through a
virtual underground mine, as seen through 3-D imagery, as well as explore a
pavilion dedicated to iron ore. Several prizes and trips will be awarded to
those in attendance.
The central event of the CIM Conference and Exhibition, the opening
plenary session entitled Energy and Mines, will take place on Monday, April 30
at 9 AM. Two keynote speakers, Thierry Vandal, President and CEO, Hydro-Quebec
and Jean Bernier, President of Ultramar, will discuss their views on the
future of the energy and fossil fuel industries. A panel of Canadian mineral
industry leaders will then participate in a round-table discussion on energy
management and mining.
In addition, the Conference will include several seminars on the topic of
innovative mining technologies as well as discussion forums on human resource
management in a growing industry. One of these forums will deal specifically
with the particular challenges faced by and opportunities for women in this
For more details: www.cim.org/montreal2007
WHAT : Mining in Society show and Career Fair
WHERE: Palais des congrès de Montréal
WHEN: April 29 - May 1
April 29 : 12 to 5 PM
April 30 & May 1 : 10 AM to 6 PM
For further information:
For further information: Andrée Peltier, Relations publiques Andrée
Peltier, (514) 846-0003, (514) 944-8689, firstname.lastname@example.org