Madeleine Meilleur Says Only Liberals Have Demonstrated Strong Leadership
OTTAWA, Sept. 29 /CNW/ - Services for Francophone communities in our
public education system, in our health system, and in our social services have
improved and will continue to move forward, said Community and Social Services
Minister and Minister responsible for Francophone Affairs Madeleine Meilleur
"Over the last four years, Ontario Liberals have demonstrated a solid
leadership role towards our Francophone communities," said Meilleur during a
speech at the Gala Lauriers de la PME 2007. "Moving forward, we will build on
the progress made to maintain and improve the quality of life for Francophone
Meilleur highlighted key accomplishments made over the last four years,
- Investing $185 million to double the size of Montfort Hospital to
provide Francophones with the best access to French health services.
- Investing $1.5 million for the expansion of services towards the
prevention of violence against women in Francophone communities.
- An additional $1 million investment for the six Francophone sexual
- Creating a French Language Commissioner to ensure greater transparency
and accountability in French language services.
During her remarks, Meilleur also noted that Ontario Liberals will:
- Continue to improve access to French-language schools, with ongoing
attention to under-served areas.
- Continue to work with communities and parents to improve awareness and
accessibility of French language schools.
- Continue to close the gap in unique course offerings in French-
language secondary schools compared to English-language secondary
- Phase in full time junior and senior kindergarden in Ontario schools.
- Expand programming to increase the presence of TFO in Northern and
- Establish a French language health services advisory council to advise
the Minister of Health and Long Term Care about health and service
delivery issues related to Francophone communities and recommend
priorities and strategies for the provincial strategic plan related to
"We've made a lot of progress over the last four years together, and it's
together that we will make Ontario prosper," said Meilleur. "Now is not the
time to go backwards, now is the time to move forward, Ontario's strong
Francophone communities deserve no less."
Disponible en français
For further information:
For further information: Ontario Liberal Party Media Relations, (416)
961-3800 Ext. 386