TORONTO, Sept. 12 /CNW/ -
September 12, 1953: John F. Kennedy weds Jacqueline Bouvier in Newport,
September 12, 1937: Canadian boxing legend George Chuvalo is born.
September 12, 2003: Dalton McGuinty makes another promise to the people
of Ontario and states...
"...we'll improve healthcare, solving the doctor shortage..."
(Ontario Liberal Party press release).
Today, there are one million adults in Ontario without a family doctor.
There are also 130,000 children who need a family doctor. The doctor shortage
affects all of Ontario. There are 130,000 in the Niagara region without a
family doctor. 60,000 in the Hamilton area. 30,000 in the London area. 20,000
in the Kingston area.
Here are some more facts about the doctor shortage in Ontario...
- Ontario needs 2,000 doctors to put an end to the shortage.
- The number of areas designated as underserviced for family doctors
was 122 in 2003.
- The number of areas designated as underserviced for family doctors is
142 in 2007.
- The percentage of doctors accepting new patients was 20.2% in 2003.
- The percentage of doctors accepting new patients was 9.6% in 2006.
Dalton McGuinty's promise to fix the doctor shortage...it's one more
promise that he was quick to make, but failed to keep.
For further information:
For further information: Mike Van Soelen, (647) 722-1760