Niger - Court orders journalist's provisional release after more than a year in detention



    MONTREAL, Oct. 7 /CNW Telbec/ - Reporters Without Borders hails the order
for the provisional release of journalist Moussa Kaka that was issued by a
Niamey appeal court today. The director of privately-owned Radio Saraounia and
Niger correspondent of Radio France Internationale and Reporters Without
Borders, Kaka has spent the past 384 days in detention.
    "This good news is, we hope, the first stage in a process that will
quickly lead to a just and honourable outcome," Reporters Without Borders
said. "We share the relief of Moussa Kaka's family, who have displayed courage
and dignity ever since his arrest. After 384 days in detention, our friend,
Moussa Kaka, has the right to see this long ordeal come to an end."
    The court ruled today that the charges against Kaka should be changed to
"actions liable to harm the national defence" and that the case should be sent
before a criminal court. At the same time, the court issued an order for his
provisional release from Niamey prison, where he has been held since
26 September 2007.
    Kaka was greeted by family, friends and fellow journalists as he left the
prison. "I am relieved and I want to thank all those who thought of me during
this past year," he told Reporters Without Borders a few minutes after
arriving at his home in the early afternoon.
    The court's ruling said: "The charges are amended to violation of the
integrity of national territory in agreement with members of the MNJ (rebels),
offences that are defined and punished by article 80 of the criminal code. The
court orders his transfer before a Niamey criminal court to be tried according
to the law. It also orders Moussa Kaka's provincial release."
    Today's decision was the result of an appeal by the prosecutor's office
against a decision by Niamey's senior investigating judge on 23 July - after
questioning Kaka on the substance of the case in two hearings - to dismiss the
charge of "complicity in a conspiracy against state authority" originally
brought against him, which carried a possible life sentence.
    In its appeal, the prosecutor's office had called for Kaka to be
prosecuted on the lesser charge of "actions liable to harm the national
defence," which carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a heavy
fine.
    When the authorities arrested Kaka in September of last year, the public
prosecutor claimed that the phone calls he had made in the course of his
reporting with one of the leaders of the Niger Movement for Justice (MNJ), a
Tuareg rebel group based in the north of the county, were evidence of
"conniving" with the rebels.




For further information:

For further information: Katherine Borlongan, Executive Director,
Reporters Without Borders Canada, (514) 521-4111, rsfcanada@rsf.org

Organization Profile

News - Media

More on this organization

REPORTERS WITHOUT BORDERS

More on this organization


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890