OTTAWA, May 4, 2016 /CNW/ - Leading up to and during to National Science and Technology Week, May 6-15, 2016, Jennifer Flanagan, President and CEO of Actua, the country's largest Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) outreach organization in Canada is available for print interviews and in-studio bookings.
As one of Canada's leading experts on STEM education, Flanagan is creating a national shift in how we prepare our young Canadians for the knowledge-based economy ahead.
To date, with Flanagan at the helm, Actua has inspired over 3 million young Canadians with STEM experiences. The organization's goal is to reach all young Canadians, especially those who are underserved and underrepresented in STEM. Actua breaks through barriers of gender, location and socio-economic situations to deliver transformational STEM programming to a quarter of a million youth annually in over 500 communities, including 35,000 Indigenous youth in 200 communities, in every corner of Canada.
"All young Canadians should have the opportunity to reach their potential," says Flanagan. "It starts with getting STEM into their hands."
Potential topics of discussion:
- How to engage all young Canadians in building a nation of innovation.
- Who is underserved and underrepresented in STEM? Why it matters.
- Youth digital literacy and online safety.
- Why youth must become producers of technology, not just consumers.
- Women remain vastly underrepresented in computer sciences. Why we need to get our girls coding now.
- Actua's geographic footprint – delivering hands-on STEM experiences in 500 communities, including the North.
Follow: Jennifer Flanagan @ActuaCEO & Actua @ActuaCanada
Visit Actua at actua.ca
Image with caption: "Actua (CNW Group/Actua)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160504_C6911_PHOTO_EN_682875.jpg
For further information: Get the discussion on science and technology rolling. Book an interview before or during National Science and Technology Week. Contact Kristina Martin, Senior Manager of Communications, Actua at 613-234-4137 or Kristina.email@example.com.