TORONTO, April 4 /CNW/ - Clean-up at the site of the March 30, 2007 train
derailment north of Englehart, Ontario is progressing well.
Remediation Efforts/Progress Update
- The pH levels in both Miller Creek and the Blanche River have
returned to normal, according to recent readings, and these levels
have remained stable for more than 30 hours.
- We will continue to monitor pH levels.
- All of the sulphuric acid has been transshipped (transferred from the
derailed tank cars to new ones) and removed from the site.
- The rebuilding of approximately 1,000 ft of track is nearly complete.
Railway to Re-Open
- Track repair efforts are ahead of schedule and the railway is
expected to re-open this evening (Wednesday, April 4, 2007).
- The Northlander passenger train will resume regular service between
Toronto and Cochrane on Thursday however, passengers traveling south
from Cochrane to North Bay will be traveling by motor coach on
Thursday morning only.
- All freight customers have been contacted and arrangements to resume
transportation have been made.
On Friday, March 30, 2007, at 2:00 p.m., an Ontario Northland freight
train derailed 10 miles north of Englehart (2 hours north of North Bay,
Ontario). No one was injured in the incident.
22 of the 37 cars on the train derailed - seven cars carrying various
commodities and 15 sulphuric acid cars. Five of the sulphuric acid cars had
been leaking however, all leaks had been contained as of the morning of
Sunday, April 1, 2007.
Emergency response personnel from Ontario Northland and from the shipper
responded immediately to the incident. In addition, personnel from the
Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Natural Resources, Environment
Canada, CANUTEC (the Canadian Transport Emergency Centre operated by Transport
Canada) and two environmental consulting firms have been assisting with the
For further information:
For further information: Beverly Martin, Manager of Public Relations,
Ontario Northland, w) (705) 472-4500 or 1-800-363-7512 ext. 265, c)
(705)845-8884, e) email@example.com