Alberta Federation of Labour's 46th Convention
Thursday, April 23, 2009 - Sunday, April 26, 2009
Crowne Plaza Chateau Lacombe, 10111 Bellamy Hill, Edmonton
EDMONTON, April 20 /CNW/ - The Alberta Federation of Labour will be
holding its 46th Constitutional Convention in Edmonton this week. An expected
350 delegates will gather to discuss how labour should respond to the current
economic crisis and to set the AFL's agenda for the next two years.
Highlights of the Convention will include:
Thursday, April 23rd:
- 1:30 p.m. - Guest Speaker: David Foster, Executive Director, Blue
Green Alliance, "Creating a Green Jobs Strategy that Works for
Workers: Lessons from the U.S."
- 3:30 p.m. - Panel: "Understanding the Global Economic Crisis and
its implications for Alberta," with Jim Stanford, CAW and Diana
Gibson, Parkland Institute
- 7:30 p.m. - Book Launch: Jim Stanford, CAW, "Why the Current
Economic Crisis Forces us to Rethink Economics"
Friday, April 24th:
- 9:45 a.m. - Guest Speaker: Dave Engledow, Field Director, AFL-CIO
Working America Program. "New Strategies for Organizing the
Unorganized and Mobilizing them to make Political Change"
- 12:00 noon - March and Rally: Health Care - Forward, Not Back
- 4:00 p.m. - Guest Speaker: Jerry Kachur, "Ten Alberta Bigshots:
Exposing the Face of Corporate Alberta
Saturday, April 25th:
- 10:00 a.m. - Guest Speaker: Michelle Bissett, Australian Council of
Trade Unions. "Using union power to influence policy agenda and win
- 12:00 noon - Media Conference: Release of Second Temporary Foreign
Worker Advocate Report
Sunday, April 26th:
- 11:15 a.m. - Election of President and Secretary Treasurer
Media are welcome to attend all portions of the agenda.
The AFL is Alberta's largest labour organization, representing 29 unions
from both the public and private sector with a combined membership of about
140,000. It was formed in 1912.
For further information:
For further information: Gil McGowan, AFL President, (780) 483-3021,
(office) (780) 218-9888 (cell)