Media Advisory - The founding of Englehart commemorated with provincial plaque



    ENGLEHART, ON, July 23 /CNW/ -

    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date:            Saturday, July 26, 2008 at 11 a.m.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Location:        Centennial Park
                     Englehart, Ontario
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Special guests:  Nina Wallace, Mayor, Town of Englehart
                     David Ramsay, MPP Timiskaming-Cochrane
                     Charlie Angus, MP Timmins - James Bay
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photo            Unveiling of a provincial plaque
    opportunity
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact:         Catrina Colme
                     Marketing and Communications Coordinator
                     Telephone: 416-325-5074
                     E-mail: catrina.colme@heritagetrust.on.ca
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    

    Join us on Saturday, July 26, at Centennial Park in Englehart, as the
Ontario Heritage Trust, the Englehart Centennial Committee and the Town of
Englehart unveil a provincial plaque to commemorate the founding of Englehart.
This unveiling is part of celebrations marking the 100th anniversary of the
Town of Englehart.
    In 1902, the provincial government announced plans for a railway from
North Bay to New Liskeard, opening the north to agricultural settlement and
providing access to the area's natural resources. The Temiskaming and Northern
Ontario Railway (T. & N.O.) had reached New Liskeard by 1905. That year, Jacob
(Jake) Englehart - a successful entrepreneur in the oil industry and a founder
of Imperial Oil Ltd. - was appointed to the commission in charge of the T. &
N.O.
    Under the leadership of Jake Englehart, the railway continued to press
northward. When it reached the Blanche River or White River (now the Englehart
River), construction of the line's first major bridge brought men and
equipment, which attracted services and amenities, and soon a community began
to take shape. Initially referred to as White River Crossing, the new
community became a divisional point on the railway in 1906. Two years later,
Englehart was proclaimed a town - named in honour of Jake Englehart.

    The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates
significant people, places and events in Ontario's history. Since 1953, over
1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.

    
                         Aussi disponible en français
    





For further information:

For further information: Catrina Colme, Marketing and Communications
Coordinator, Telephone: (416) 325-5074, E-mail:
catrina.colme@heritagetrust.on.ca


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890