Media Advisory - Provincial plaque commemorates Sydenham Public School



    TORONTO, June 8 /CNW/ -

    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date:         Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 1:15 p.m.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Location:     Sydenham Public School
                  5 Clergy Street East, Kingston
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions:   Follow Highway 401 to Kingston and exit south on
                  Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard (Exit 615). Follow this
                  street south to Union Street West, which is at the eighth
                  set of traffic lights. Turn left onto Union Street West and
                  continue past Queen's University. Turn left at Barrie
                  Street. Turn right onto Clergy Street East. Sydenham Public
                  School is on the right.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photo         Unveiling of a provincial plaque
    opportunity:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact:      Liane Nowosielski
                  Assistant Marketing and Communications Coordinator
                  Telephone: 416-325-5032
                  E-mail: liane.nowosielski@heritagetrust.on.ca
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    

    Join the Ontario Heritage Trust and the Friends of the Sydenham Public
School for the unveiling of a provincial plaque commemorating the Sydenham
Public School in Kingston.
    Formerly the Kingston County Grammar School, the Sydenham Public School
on Clergy Street East has operated as an educational facility since its
construction in 1853. A reflection of educational reforms in the mid-19th
century and the growing need to improve school buildings, the two-storey
structure was considered to be architecturally impressive in its time. The
province's grammar schools were few in number, as the largely agrarian and
rural society of Upper Canada dictated that only a small proportion of the
population required training in grammar school subjects. The school thus
provides an important and rare testimony of the development of Ontario's
public education system.
    The original section of the school was reconstructed following a fire in
1876. An expanded curriculum and growing enrolment also necessitated the
construction of an additional wing to the rear of the original structure.
After the Kingston Collegiate Institute opened in the 1890s, the Kingston
County Grammar School became a primary school. It was renamed for Lord
Sydenham, governor general of British North America from 1839 to 1841. The
building was further expanded in 1952.
    The Sydenham Public School is owned and operated by the Limestone
District School Board. It houses students from kindergarten through Grade 8.
Distinct among Ontario's educational institutions in architecture and age, it
continues to act as a symbol of the province's changing educational landscape.

    The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates
significant people, places and events in Ontario's history. Since 1953, over
1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.

    
                         Aussi disponible en français
    




For further information:

For further information: Liane Nowosielski, Assistant Marketing and
Communications Coordinator, Telephone: (416) 325-5032, E-mail:
liane.nowosielski@heritagetrust.on.ca


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890