Media Advisory - Provincial plaque commemorates Sacré-Coeur Parish



    TORONTO, Jan. 28 /CNW/ -

    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date:         Friday, January 30, 2009 at 7 p.m.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Location:     Sacré-Coeur Roman Catholic Church
                  381 Sherbourne Street, Toronto
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions:   From Union Station, head east on Front Street to Yonge
                  Street. Turn left onto Yonge Street. Turn right onto
                  Carlton Street. Sacré-Coeur is located at the intersection
                  of Carlton and Sherbourne streets, opposite Allan Gardens.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photo
     opportunity: Unveiling of a provincial plaque
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact:      Liane Nowosielski
                  Assistant Marketing and Communications Coordinator
                  Telephone: 416-325-5032
                  E-mail: liane.nowosielski@heritagetrust.on.ca
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    

    Join the Ontario Heritage Trust and the Sacré-Coeur Roman Catholic Church
for the unveiling of a provincial plaque commemorating the Sacré-Coeur Parish.
    Toronto saw a surge in its francophone population in the mid- to
late-19th century as French-Canadians began arriving due to the booming
manufacturing sector. The city's early francophones attended religious
services at English-speaking parishes, where French-speaking priests were
occasionally invited to conduct services. However, they were dissatisfied with
this arrangement owing to significant differences in culture and religious
tradition. In 1887, Father Philippe Lamarche arrived from Montreal to found
Sacré-Coeur Parish, the first Roman Catholic parish to serve the francophone
community in Toronto.
    The parish's first building (a former Presbyterian church) was located on
King Street East, near Sackville Street. In 1896, a school was constructed,
followed by the addition of a rectory in 1900. A new church was built at the
corner of Sherbourne and Carlton streets in the 1930s to accommodate the
growing congregation. A number of associations and clubs were also created,
providing an opportunity for parishioners to socialize in their own language.
Popular activities included sports, music and theatre.
    Since its inception, the Parish of Sacré-Coeur has been both a spiritual
and cultural centre for francophones across the city. To this day, Sacré-Coeur
continues to serve as a cultural beacon for the French-speaking community in
the Toronto area.
    The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates
significant people, places and events in Ontario's history. Since 1953, over
1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.
    The Trust gratefully acknowledges the Ontario Office of Francophone
Affairs for its assistance and the Department of Canadian Heritage for its
financial contribution to this provincial plaque through the Canada-Ontario
Agreement on French-Language Services.

    
                         Aussi disponible en français
    




For further information:

For further information: Liane Nowosielski, Assistant Marketing and
Communications Coordinator, Telephone: (416) 325-5032, E-mail:
liane.nowosielski@heritagetrust.on.ca


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890