TORONTO, April 27 /CNW Telbec/ - The crew of the Ambersail, a Volvo 60
class yacht, will be meeting Canada's Lithuanians on Tuesday, April 28th at
7:00 pm, at the Church of the Resurrection Hall, 1 Resurrection Road in
Etobicoke. (Bloor and Islington)
The Ambersail's voyage titled '1000 Odiseja' (The 1000 Year Odyssey)
http://www.1000odiseja.lt/index.php/pageid/515 marks the 1000-year anniversary
of the first recorded mention of Lithuania and celebrates the renewal of
cultural, economic and spiritual links between the world-wide Lithuanian
diaspora and Lithuania proper.
The Ambersail sailed from Klaipeda, Lithuania on October 5, 2008 visiting
South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, and the
United States before arriving in Halifax on April 26, 2009. From Halifax, the
9th crew will sail across the Atlantic to Europe. During the voyage, 120
yachtsmen in 11 crews will have visited 26 Lithuanian communities in 20
different countries on five separate continents.
Lithuanian Canadians, of which there are about 47,000, are proud of
Lithuania's accomplishments in the years since independence was restored and
this event provides the chance to demonstrate that pride. It also represents
the growth in links and understanding between the diaspora and Lithuania.
Speakers at the event include:
- Joana Kuras-Lasys President, Lithuanian Canadian Community, National
- Danute Garbalauskas President, Toronto Lithuanian Community
- Bronius Stundzia Distinguished member of the Toronto Lithuanian Sea
- Linas Tamkvaitis Captain of the Ambersail, 8th crew, who will read
official greetings from the President of Lithuania Valdas Adamkus.
The event will feature performances by Toronto musicians, singers and
- Lithuanian Folk Dance Troupe "Atzalynas"
- "Volunge" Choir
- Kankles Players (Traditional stringed instrument)
- Kaimo Kapela (Traditional country singers)
For further information:
For further information: Algis Juzukonis, Cell: (647) 295-8715; Ruta
Klicius, Cell: (613) 668-7943