TORONTO, May 28 /CNW/ -
WHAT: First-ever Toronto Women's Half Marathon & 5K
WHERE: Start and Finish @ Wilket Creek Park
Leslie, just north of Eglinton
WHEN: Sunday, May 31, 2009
Start time: Half Marathon - 8 a.m.
5K - 8:20 a.m.
First half marathon finisher expected in 1:20 (approximately)
Awards: 11 a.m.
WHO: 1,200 women, aged 18 to 70+, will run the Half Marathon including
some of Toronto's fastest competitive women.
350 more women will run the 5K.
Media Access: Media are welcome at the Start/Finish line and can park in
the parking area directly inside the park, north of main entrance.
Note: Race course is closed to vehicular traffic. Media needing access
beyond start/finish please call (416) 606-9817.
- Women are enthusiastically embracing running as a fitness and social
activity. Today, close to 60% of all finishers in the GTA's existing
half marathons are women.
- This event was created by Cory Freedman - a lifelong competitive
runner, ironman participant, and event organizer - to provide an
opportunity for both competitive and recreational female runners to
experience the thrill of women setting the pace.
- Top runners participating: Christy Barber, Michelle Clarke, Katrina
Cripps, Jenn Eberman, Laura McIntyre, Ayesha Rollinson, Susanne
Zelazo, among others.
- POGO (Pediatric Oncology Group of Ontario) www.pogo.ca is the
charitable beneficiary of this event.
- A 'Chocolate Aid' station (located midway through the 5K and at the
19K mark in the Half) will spur a strong finish!
- Toronto firefighters will add motivation at the water stations located
at 4K, 11K, 17K and 19K.
- The finisher's medal is a handmade one-of-a-kind sterling silver
necklace, designed and made by the Toronto's own Slashpile Design
For further information:
For further information: or to co-ordinate pre-event or onsite
interviews with Cory Freedman or one of Toronto's fastest women, please
contact Trish Krause, Brand and Marketing, TWHM email@example.com, (416)