Media Advisory - Bethune-Thompson House commemorated by provincial plaque



    TORONTO, Sept. 4 /CNW/ -

    
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date:               Friday, September 7, 2007 - 1:30 p.m.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Location:           Bethune-Thompson House
                        19730 John Street, Williamstown, Ontario
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions:         Take Highway 401 to Exit 804 (Summerstown Station).
                        Follow County Road 27 to County Road 19 and turn
                        right. At County Road 17/John Street, turn right
                        (east).
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Photo opportunity   Unveiling of a provincial plaque and celebration of
                        the 5th year of Doors Open Cornwall-Seaway Valley
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact:            Gordon Pim
                        Marketing and Communications Coordinator
                        Telephone: 416-325-1484
                        E-mail: gordon.pim@heritagetrust.on.ca
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    

    Join the Ontario Heritage Trust and Doors Open Cornwall-Seaway Valley on
Saturday, September 7 in Williamstown as we unveil a provincial plaque to
commemorate Bethune-Thompson House.
    Bethune-Thompson House - the oldest residence owned by the Trust - owes
its name to two prominent owners - the Reverend John Bethune and explorer
David Thompson. But it was Peter Ferguson, an early settler, who first built a
house on this site in 1784. Bethune (1751-1815), founding minister of
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Williamstown and the first Presbyterian
minister in Upper Canada, acquired the property in 1804. He built a larger
house which incorporated Ferguson's home as its kitchen wing. In 1815, the
house was acquired by David Thompson (1770-1857), the famous North West
Company explorer who mapped much of what is now western Canada.
    This year also marks the 150th anniversary of Thompson's death and the
200th anniversary of his first crossing of the Rocky Mountains - a fitting
occasion to commemorate North America's "Greatest Geographer" and the dwelling
that was his home for the latter part of his life.

    The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates
significant people, places and events in Ontario's history. Since 1953, over
1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.

    
                         Aussi disponible en français
    





For further information:

For further information: Gordon Pim, Marketing and Communications
Coordinator, Telephone: (416) 325-1484, E-mail:
gordon.pim@heritagetrust.on.ca


Custom Packages

Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.

Start today.

CNW Membership

Fill out a CNW membership form or contact us at 1 (877) 269-7890

Learn about CNW services

Request more information about CNW products and services or call us at 1 (877) 269-7890