Plan Includes Additional Resources And More Supports For Students
RICHMOND HILL, ON, Sept. 17 /CNW/ - Premier Dalton McGuinty set out the
next steps in the Ontario Liberals' plan for Ontario's publicly funded schools
here today at the symposium of principals from all Ontario boards.
"It is because Ontario Liberals are committed to moving our province
forward that publicly funded education is at the heart of our agenda," said
Premier McGuinty. "We want to ensure that publicly funded education - the
education two million Ontario kids depend on - is the best education so they
can get ahead, find opportunity and success."
He told the symposium that, "Nothing is more important to moving forward
and building the society we want to build, and the economy we need to sustain
it, than publicly funded education from the early grades to postsecondary."
With a second mandate, the Ontario Liberals will build on the progress
they have made by:
- Expanding after-school homework help and online homework help
- Creating specialized schools in trades, math, science, arts and
athletics in every school board
- Increasing English as a Second Language funding another 18 per cent
and special needs funding by 8 per cent
- Expanding Family Literacy Centres across the province, so families
from all backgrounds can help their children arrive at school ready
- Creating a $150 million Every Student Fund for students in Grades 4 -
8 as our next step in improving supports for elementary students
- Expanding the successful Pathways to Education program, to give more
students from at-risk neighbourhoods a fair shot at success
- Providing $10 million to prepare schools to deliver IBI therapy on-
site for the first time, a step forward made possible by our earlier
decision to scrap the age-six limit for children with autism.
"Over the past four years, we've seen class sizes go down, test scores go
up and peace and stability returned to our schools," said Premier McGuinty.
"Now is the time to build on our progress - I believe in our young people and
I will not take them backwards to a time of cuts and conflict."
Disponible en français
For further information:
For further information: Ontario Liberal Party Media Relations, (416)
961-3800 Ext. 386