AIR MILES introduces additional fraud management policies to provide more security
for AIR MILES Collector Accounts
TORONTO, April 3, 2017 /CNW/ - Today, the AIR MILES® Reward Program announced that in-store AIR MILES Cash redemptions will resume on Wednesday, April 5th at 5:00 a.m. EST. Collector Account security is a top priority for AIR MILES, which is why the company is also announcing a series of additional fraud management policies that will help to enhance Account security for all Collectors.
AIR MILES believes that the policies outlined below, which are a combination of existing and new processes, will help to mitigate fraud risk for Collectors, while enhancing Collector Account security and delivering a user-friendly in-store Collector experience:
Mitigating Fraud In-Store – effective April 5, 2017
- Collectors will now have a daily cap of $50 for in-store AIR MILES Cash redemptions across all Partners, per Collector Cash Account, per day. This translates to a maximum redemption of 475 Cash Miles per day.
- In-store AIR MILES Cash redemptions will exclude gift cards and near-cash products (i.e. pre-paid credit cards).
Collector Account Management
- To access Collector Cash and Dream balances on www.airmiles.ca, Collectors must log in to their Account using their Personal Information Number (PIN).
- Collectors who forget their PIN are encouraged to use the self-serve tool located on the company's website to create or reset their PIN.
Existing Fraud Detection Activities
- In-store redemption of AIR MILES Cash prompts an email to the Collector to inform them of the transaction while also providing instructions on what to do if the Collector was not the party who used Cash Miles in-store.
- AIR MILES' Anti-Fraud Team will continue to monitor patterns of redemption in order to spot irregularities and suspicious activity as quickly as possible.
- The company will continue to proactively communicate to Collectors if fraud is suspected and will take action to protect their Account.
Additional steps Collectors can take to protect their AIR MILES Cash Account
- For extra protection, Collectors are encouraged to "lock" their Cash Account. While Cash Accounts are locked, Collectors can continue to get Miles, but no AIR MILES Cash redemptions are possible. Collectors who choose to lock their Cash Account can unlock it quickly, prior to conducting an in-store Cash redemption by using the PIN associated with their Account via www.airmiles.ca/cashlock, the AIR MILES App, or by using our Customer Care automated phone system.
- Collectors should ensure their email address on file at AIR MILES is up-to-date, enabling the company to send AIR MILES Cash redemption confirmations.
More Customer Service for any additional Collector questions
- AIR MILES added 30 additional Customer Care Agents and another 30 agents will be added as of Wednesday, April 5th to support Collectors with these changes.
- As previously announced, the company introduced 24/7 customer support through its Facebook and Twitter social media accounts.
"At this time when AIR MILES, like so many brands, is being targeted by online criminals, we believe we must continue to make AIR MILES Cash Account security a priority," said Blair Cameron, Head of the AIR MILES Reward Program. "We've been working closely with our Partners to apply solutions which will ensure that in-store AIR MILES Cash transactions continue and safeguards are in place to combat fraud. We are also giving Collectors tools that help them adjust the security settings for their Cash Accounts."
"Ensuring our customers have a rewarding experience in our stores is always our first priority," said Lyne Castonguay, Chief Merchandising & Marketing Officer, Sobeys Inc. "These new measures will make it convenient and secure for our customers to redeem AIR MILES Cash for instant savings on groceries."
These policies are being communicated to all Collectors through an administrative email and updates on www.airmiles.ca. Information will also be posted in stores.
On March 23rd, AIR MILES temporarily suspended in-store AIR MILES Cash transactions after its dedicated Anti-Fraud Team identified irregular activity occurring within a small number of in-store AIR MILES Cash transactions. The company maintains regular fraud monitoring processes which discovered the theft of Cash Miles. The personal information of all Collectors remains protected and was not compromised. The company immediately alerted authorities and has been working diligently with retail Partners, law enforcement, and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.
To learn more about AIR MILES please visit www.airmiles.ca.
About the AIR MILES Reward Program
Launched in 1992, the AIR MILES Reward Program is one of the best ways to get rewards in Canada. With more than 11 million active Collector Accounts, approximately two-thirds of all Canadian households can turn everyday purchases like gas and groceries into movie tickets, kitchen gadgets, electronics, dream vacations and so much more. Unlike other frequent shopper programs, Collectors can get Miles from hundreds of leading brand-name Partners, representing thousands of retail and service locations across Canada and leading global brands online. The AIR MILES Reward Program lets Collectors reward themselves their way – they can build their AIR MILES Cash balance to use toward in-store or online Cash rewards at participating Reward Partners, build their Dream balance to get vacations, electronics and more, or a combination of both. Whatever rewards Collectors like most, they can get them quickly and easily with the AIR MILES Reward Program.
SOURCE AIR MILES Reward Program
For further information: Dalia Kimmel, North Strategic, 613-883-9125, firstname.lastname@example.org