PETERBOROUGH, ON, Oct. 4 /CNW/ - John Tory continues to tout his scheme
to cut $3 billion out of public health care, Health Minister George Smitherman
says Peterborough families deserve an answer on what services Tory would cut
to make up for that cut.
"At a time when our population is aging it is reckless to cut $3 billion
out of health care," said Smitherman. "It is the sign of weak judgment that
John Tory would want to take this money and pretend he wouldn't have to cut
Liberal candidate Jeff Leal (Peterborough) said families remember the
damage caused the last time the Harris Tory party was in office.
"They promised not to close hospitals, and then closed them. Not to fire
nurses and then fired them. And families were left without family doctors,"
Ontario Liberals have delivered health care results for Peterborough
- 5 Family Health Teams with more almost 70 doctors are seeing almost
100,000 patients, including 8,000 who didn't have a doctor before.
The 24/7 care has resulted in 10,000 fewer Emergency Room visits in
- Funded 30 new beds at Peterborough Hospital, with a new 500 bed
hospital scheduled to open in 2008
- Reduced cancer surgery wait by 65% - the best wait time reduction in
- Reduced angiography wait by 59%
- Reduced cataract surgery wait by 44 days, or 37%
- Reduced hip replacement surgery wait by 122 days, or 46%
- Reduced knee replacement surgery wait by 155 days, or 47%
- Increased hospital funding wait by 24%, or $58 million
"The Harris Tory party decimated Peterborough health care when they cut
almost $10 million out of our Peterborough hospital. Now they want to cut
another $3 billion out of health care. Peterborough families have seen that
movie before, and don't want to go back," said Leal.
For further information:
For further information: Ben Chin, (416) 961-3800 ext. 412,