TRENTON, ON, Oct. 4 /CNW/ - As John Tory continues his legacy tour of
Harris Tory party cuts to health care and touting his scheme to cut $3 billion
out of public health care, Health Minister George Smitherman says
Northumberland Quinte-West families deserve an answer on what services Tory
would cut this time.
"Our population is aging and need more services, not less. It is reckless
to cut $3 billion out of health care," said Smitherman. "It is the sign of
weak judgment that John Tory would want to take this money and pretend he
wouldn't have to cut services."
Liberal candidate Lou Rinaldi (Northumberland-Quinte West) said families
in Cobourg and Trenton and Port Hope remember the damage caused the last time
the Harris Tory party was in office.
"They promised more nurses and then they fired them by the thousands.
They promised better health care, and then closed the Port Hope hospital. Our
communities were devastated by these cuts and Galt's turned their backs," said
Ontario Liberals have delivered health care results for
Northumberland-Quinte West families:
- 2 new Family Health Teams in Brighton and Trent Hills
- Reduced cataract surgery wait by 34% at Northumberland Hills hospital
- Reduced cancer surgery wait by 30 days, or 37% at Quinte Healthcare
- Reduced cataract surgery wait by 70 days, or 56% at Quinte Healthcare
- Reduced hip replacement surgery wait by 16% at Quinte Healthcare
- Reduced knee replacement surgery wait by 37% at Quinte Healthcare
- Funded 72 more children's surgeries this year at Quinte Healthcare
- Increased hospital funding by 18%, or $48 million
- Opening new MRIs at Northumberland Hills and Quinte Healthcare
- Opening new Community Health Centres in Port Hope and Trenton
"The Harris Tory party decimated our health care when they cut more than
$10 million out of our local hospitals and closed Port Hope," said Rinaldi.
"John Tory has a history of coming to town and getting his numbers wrong.
He tried to discredit the Northumberland Hills hospital and the doctors and
nurses who work there, and he was proven wrong. He's also wrong to cut another
$3 billion out of health care. Our families have seen that movie before, and
don't want to go back," said Rinaldi.
For further information:
For further information: Ben Chin, (416) 961-3800 ext. 412,