Fans go behind the scenes via Facebook Live to see new Big Twin engine being made
TORONTO, Aug. 23, 2016 /CNW/ - More power. More comfort. More control. Today, Harley-Davidson unveiled the all-new Milwaukee-Eight™ engine, the ninth Big Twin in its history, plus an all-new front and rear suspension for its Model Year 2017 Touring motorcycle lineup.
"Canadian roads were made for Touring," said Anoop Prakash, Managing Director of Harley-Davidson Canada. "With an all-new design, the new Milwaukee-Eight™ engine offers quicker throttle response, more passing power, purer sound, a smoother ride and more of the feeling riders want from a Harley-Davidson Touring motorcycle."
To launch the Milwaukee-Eight™107 and Milwaukee-Eight™114 engines, Harley-Davidson—in a brand first—will take fans where they've never gone before: the floor of a Harley-Davidson factory in a virtual tour on Facebook Live to watch the making of its newest Big Twin engine today at 1:30 p.m. EST/ 12:30 p.m. MST.
"These are the most powerful, most responsive and most comfortable Touring motorcycles ever offered by Harley-Davidson," said Scott Miller, Harley-Davidson Vice-President of Styling and Product Development Strategy. "You truly have to ride one to feel the difference – so we're inviting all riders to visit a Harley-Davidson® dealer and take a test ride."
Power. Comfort. Control.
The new Milwaukee-Eight™ engine is a ground-up design that combines the classic look, sound and feel of Harley-Davidson® Big Twin engines with improvements in performance, comfort and control.
Retaining the classic 45-degree V-Twin cylinder angle, the Milwaukee-Eight™ engine produces 10 per cent more torque and features four-valve cylinder heads that offer 50 per cent more intake and exhaust flow capacity than previous years' models.
The Milwaukee-Eight™ engine is counter-balanced to cancel 75 per cent of primary vibration at idle, retaining the classic feel of a Harley® V-Twin while being very smooth at highway speeds. And a new heat management strategy redefines "cool" improving rider and passenger comfort.
New engine and much more for Model Year 2017
Along with the Milwaukee-Eight™ unveiling, Harley-Davidson also announced:
- A New Touring Suspension: New front and rear suspension components enhance the comfort, control and performance of all 2017 Harley-Davidson® Touring models. New dual bending valve front suspension technology provides the performance of a racing-style cartridge fork with linear damping characteristics and reduced weight. New emulsion-technology rear shocks offer 15 to 30 per cent more pre-load adjustment than previous standard Touring shocks, with a single, hand-adjustable knob to hydraulically dial in pre-load.
- Screamin' Eagle® Performance: Harley-Davidson® Screamin' Eagle® Performance will offer a full selection of street-legal performance components for the Milwaukee-Eight™ engines, including Screamin' Eagle® Milwaukee-Eight™ Stage kits that deliver up to a 24-per cent increase in torque over the stock engine (availability varies by market).
- Harley-Davidson® Custom Vehicle Operations™: Harley-Davidson® Custom Vehicle Operations™ (CVO™) models combine prestige and performance in three limited-edition factory-custom motorcycles for 2017. The CVO™ Limited and CVO™ Street Glide® models feature the refined performance of the new Twin-Cooled Milwaukee-Eight™ 114 engine, while the CVO™ Pro Street Breakout® motorcycle is powered by the Screamin' Eagle® Twin Cam 110B™ air-cooled V-Twin engine.
- 2017 Harley-Davidson Street® 500/750 Motorcycles: 2017 Harley-Davidson Street® motorcycles are now available with ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) and the Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System with a hands-free, proximity-based security fob, each as a factory-installed option.
- Powerful Cruiser Lineup: With the High Output Twin Cam 103™ standard for all 2017 Softail® models and Dyna® models (U.S. models only) except the Street Bob® model and the S Series cruisers with the Screamin' Eagle® Twin Cam 110™ engine, Harley-Davidson continues to offer its most powerful cruisers ever.
To experience the transformation of the 2017 Harley-Davidson® models now, visit h-d.com/testride to schedule a test ride.
*All comparisons in this communication are drawn between Harley-Davidson 2017 Touring models and 2016 Touring models.
**Not all models are available in all countries. Please contact your local Harley-Davidson dealer for more information.
About Harley-Davidson Canada
In August 2015, Harley-Davidson Inc. took over distribution in Canada as part of a global strategy to establish subsidiary units in its most important markets. The new entity, Harley-Davidson Canada, has focused on bringing the full Harley-Davidson ownership experience to Canada. Harley-Davidson® motorcycle parts, accessories, general merchandise, riding gear and apparel are available in 69 independent dealerships across Canada. For more information, visit www.h-d.com.
About Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Since 1903, Harley-Davidson Motor Company has fulfilled dreams of personal freedom with cruiser, touring and custom motorcycles, riding experiences and events, and a complete line of Harley-Davidson® motorcycle parts, accessories, general merchandise, riding gear and apparel. For more information, visit www.h-d.com.
SOURCE Harley-Davidson Canada
Image with caption: "Harley-Davidson’s new Milwaukee-Eight engine, the ninth Big Twin in the company’s history, delivers more power and an improved riding experience while retaining the iconic look, sound and feel of its predecessors. (CNW Group/Harley-Davidson Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20160823_C5211_PHOTO_EN_757980.jpg
For further information: Sophie Shin, 416-642-7949, SShin@webershandwick.com