25 Days of Deals Online Starts Today
BURNABY, BC, Oct. 5 /CNW/ - Future Shop, Canada's largest retailer and
e-tailer of consumer electronics, is celebrating its 25th anniversary during
the month of October. Future Shop has grown from a family owned, one-store
location, located in Vancouver, British Columbia, to 127 stores across Canada
with 10,000 employees. Future Shop continues to be the "Get it First" retail
destination for TVs, computers, laptops, mobile phones, cameras, car stereos,
MP3 players, movies, games, appliances and more.
Celebrating a 25 Year Journey
"Future Shop thanks all of our associates, customers and partners for
helping us reach this 25 year milestone. We continue to be committed to
delivering an outstanding experience for our customers with our product
experts, latest technology and great deals," said Moe Amirie, Vice President &
Business Group Leader for Future Shop. "I started with Future Shop as a sales
associate 20 years ago and am proud to be a part of this successful journey.
We have one of the most culturally diverse workplaces in Canada and it is an
honour to work with such remarkable people."
25th Anniversary Promotions for Customers
As part of the anniversary celebration, Future Shop will have the
following promotions during October 5 to October 29:
- Flyer deals for in-store and online.
- 25 Days of Deals online at www.futureshop.ca.
- "Match and Win" online interactive game with daily random prizing and
a $2,500 gift card grand prize.
- "Then and Now" showcase events on the October 13 and 14 weekend in
four cities: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. The store
parking lots will showcase vintage technology side-by-side with the
latest technology. Prizing for the event in each of the four cities
is a Home Theatre package, valued at $5,000.
Milestones for Future Shop's 25 Years in Canada
- 1982: Future Shop opens its first store on Broadway
in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 1986: Future Shop starts its expansion East with stores
in Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario.
- 1990: Future Shop becomes Canada's largest electronics retailer and
opens its 23rd store in Richmond, British Columbia.
- 1992: Future Shop opens its 35th store in Kingston, Ontario.
- 1995: Future Shop opens its first store in Quebec for a total of
80 stores in Canada.
- 1998: Future Shop registers its first online sale on
- 2001: Future Shop's annual sales surpass $2 billion.
- 2001: Future Shop is acquired by US-based Best Buy Co. Inc.
(NYSE: BBY). Future Shop continues to operate as a distinct and
unique brand under Best Buy Co. Inc.'s dual brand strategy which
includes Best Buy stores in Canada.
- 2001: Future Shop partners with the Boys & Girls Club of Canada and
launches the Future Leaders scholarship program. In Quebec, Future
Shop partners with Regroupement des Maisons de jeunes du Quebec.
- 2002: Future Shop opens its 100th store in the
Montreal Forum in Quebec.
- 2003: Future Shop opens its 108th store on Robson Street
in Vancouver, BC.
- 2007: Future Shop opens six stores and reaches 10,000 employees
Media: For photos and video, link to www.futureshop.ca/25years
/NOTE TO PHOTO EDITORS: A photo accompanying this release is available on
the CNW Photo Network and archived at http://photos.newswire.ca.
Additional archived images are also available on the CNW Photo Archive
website at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited
members of the media/
For further information:
For further information: Susan Kirk, (604) 412-1226,
firstname.lastname@example.org; Cheryl Grant, (604) 412-1008, email@example.com