EDMONTON, Sept. 11 /CNW/ - Yellow ribbons lining a major thoroughfare to
CFB Edmonton greet soldiers as they return from a six-month tour of duty in
Afghanistan. Soldiers are expected to return tonight at 9:00 p.m.
The ribbons are just one way Edmonton shows its support to its sizeable
military community. CFB Edmonton is one of Canada's largest army bases.
To recognize the military and their families' contributions to the
community, City Council, the military and the community-at-large established
the Edmonton Salutes Committee.
Edmonton Salutes supports the military community by:
- greeting and welcoming soldiers at the airport upon their return from
- providing a police escort for a quick return to CFB Edmonton.
- putting up yellow ribbons on the soldiers' return route.
- holding Red Fridays (November 2006 and August 2007) ceremonies.
- sponsoring a military family discount program.
Earlier this summer, the City of Edmonton made magnetic "Support Our
Troops" decals available to City employees wishing to show their support for
the military when driving City vehicles.
In addition to Edmonton Salutes, the City of Edmonton supports its
military community by:
- recognizing the loss of soldiers through a moment of silence at City
- granting Freedom of the City to various military units.
- supporting programming for Veterans Day, Remembrance Day, Cenotaph
ceremonies and Red Friday.
- nurturing a strong relationship between the military and the community
by inviting them to all major civic events and providing high
Vibrant and culturally diverse, Edmonton is an ideal place to live,
learn, work, invest and visit. Home to more than one million people and the
global port to more than $100 billion in northern oil sands development,
Alberta's capital is an economic powerhouse offering the nation's best
combination of business opportunity and quality of life. Edmonton leads the
world in healthcare research and innovation, education, and environmental
stewardship. As Canada's Festival City and the Cultural Capital for 2007,
Edmonton is alive with endless festivals, events, attractions, art and
For more information on Edmonton, please visit our website at:
/NOTE TO PHOTO EDITORS: A photo accompanying this release is available on
the CNW Photo Network and archived at http://photos.newswire.ca.
Additional archived images are also available on the CNW Photo Archive
website at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited
members of the media/
For further information:
For further information: Councillor Ed Gibbons, Co-chair, Edmonton
Salutes Committee, (780) 496-8138; Bart West, Co-chair, Edmonton Salutes
Committee, (780) 988-6297