National and local coverage airing on all Global News
and CHCH, CHEK, CHBC, CHCA stations
Tuesday, October 14th
Atlantic Canada - Begins 7 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. AT
QC, ON, MB, SK, AB - 9:00 p.m. ET
BC - 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT
TORONTO, Oct. 9 /CNW/ - Following its unprecedented "People's Express"
cross-Canada election tour, Global National continues to focus on Canadians'
priorities as the team unveils its most ambitious election night coverage
With its "Decision 2008: Your Priorities. Their Promises" federal
election coverage, the Global National, Global News and CHCH, CHEK, CHBC, CHCA
News teams have the entire country covered, reporting live from each leader's
headquarters, and providing live updates from local ridings coast-to-coast.
Global National team:
Anchor and executive editor Kevin Newman leads the team with wall-to-wall
national coverage from Global National's election headquarters in Toronto.
After travelling across the country on the "People's Express" election tour,
Newman will take the priorities he's learned from local residents and bring
unique perspective and insight Canadians won't find on any other newscast.
Ottawa bureau chief Jacques Bourbeau and correspondent Peter Harris will
cover off the Conservative headquarters of Stephen Harper; Hannah Thibedeau
and David Akin with Liberal leader Stéphane Dion; Ben O'Hara-Byrne with NDP
leader Jack Layton; Lauren McNabb with Green Party leader Elizabeth May; and
Jamie Orchard with Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe. Correspondent Mike
Armstrong will host a live, interactive public forum in Kingston, Ontario at
the former election headquarters of Canada's first Prime Minister Sir John A.
Global News anchor Leslie Roberts hosts an esteemed panel of political
- University of Calgary political science professor Tom Flanagan,
- Former Chief of Staff for Prime Minister Paul Martin Tim Murphy
- Conservative strategist Lisa Samson
- Former BC NDP leader Joy MacPhail
- Former deputy leader of the Green Party David Chernushenko
- National Post political columnist Don Martin
- Montreal Gazette political columnist Josée Legault
- Ipsos-Reid president Darrell Bricker
- CPAC's Sunday Sound Off host Catherine Clark
- Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Monte Solberg
- Liberal MP Reg Alcock
- Former NDP leader Alexa McDonaugh
Complete local coverage:
Viewers will also get the complete local picture with regional coverage in
20-minute rotations from their Global News, CHCH News Hamilton, CHCA News Red
Deer, CHEK News Vancouver Island and CHBC Kelowna stations.
- Global News Ontario: Anchor Leslie Roberts hosts the national panel
discussion, while anchors Anne-Marie Mediwake and Alan Carter provide
in-depth breakdown of the ridings from across Ontario.
- CHCH News Hamilton: CHCH News will have the Hamilton, Halton and
Niagara regions covered. Anchor Dan McLean and the news team will set
the scene locally with live coverage from all of the key ridings and
analysis by local panellists.
- Global Winnipeg: Anchors Peter Chura and Eva Kovacs lead the
Manitoba-wide local election show with political science professor
Dr. Chris Adams providing insight.
- Global Saskatoon and Regina: Anchors Jill Morgan and Lisa Dutton team
up for a Saskatchewan-wide election broadcast.
- Global Calgary and Lethbridge: Senior anchor Gord Gillies
quarterbacks complete local coverage for southern Alberta, Tony Tighe
leads a panel discussion at Stephen Harper's Calgary headquarters,
and Todd Gallant hosts a unique public forum with "Todd's Political
- Global Edmonton and CHCA News Red Deer: Anchors Lynda Steele and
Gord Steinke provide live local coverage for central Albertans with
in-depth analysis from University of Alberta political science
professor Steve Patten.
- Global BC, CHEK News Vancouver Island, CHBC Kelowna, CKPG-TV Prince
George and CFJC-TV Kamloops: Beginning at 6:45 p.m. PT, Global BC
will air a province-wide, comprehensive election show hosted by
anchors Tony Parsons, Chris Gailus, Deborra Hope and Jill Krop.
Online at www.globaltv.com/election:
Global National's dedicated, multi-level election website provides
Canadians with enhanced interactive election night coverage where viewers can
access a live stream of the broadcast starting at 9 p.m. ET. Hosted by Global
News reporter Darryl Konynenbelt, website visitors can get the latest
real-time riding results, get involved with instant polling and chat live with
special guests and bloggers.
Global National's election night coverage begins at the following times
on Tuesday, October 14th:
- Atlantic Canada - 7 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. AT
- QC, ON, MB, SK, AB - 9:00 p.m. ET
- BC - 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT
About Global National:
Global National with Kevin Newman offers Canadians an early evening
national news alternative with a distinctive voice and approach to the day's
top stories (www.globalnational.com.) The multiple award-winning half-hour
newscast was recently voted Best Newscast by the Radio and Television News
Directors Association of Canada and the Academy of Canadian Cinema &
Television (Gemini Awards). Global National is broadcast live seven days a
week at 5:30 p.m. (6:30 p.m. in the Maritimes) with news bureaus and
correspondents in every major city in Canada; Washington, D.C.; London, U.K.;
Beijing, China; New Delhi, India and Jerusalem, Israel.
For further information:
For further information: Media contact: Yvonne Chiang, (604) 422-6736,