-- Private Practice debuts as this season's No. 1 new series --
-- CSI: New York leaves Life dead in its tracks --
TORONTO, Sept. 27 /CNW/ - CTV won Wednesday night with a clean sweep of
the Top 5 programs on television last night. With more than one million
viewers watching in each hour from 7-11 p.m., CTV won every timeslot in all
1. Private Practice became the most-watched new drama of the season when
1.6 million viewers watched at 9 p.m. on CTV, more than 35% more total
viewers than Cane (1.2 million, Global/CBS) on Tuesday. Head-to-head,
Private Practice more than doubled Bones on Global (714,000) nationally
and was the most-watched program of the night in Toronto/Hamilton,
Canada's largest television market.
2. At 10 p.m., CSI: New York returned with 2.3 million viewers, more than
three times the audience that watched the series premiere of Life
(713,000) on Global/NBC.
3. Criminal Minds returned for its third season with 1.3 million viewers
out of simulcast at 7 p.m.
4. Dancing With the Stars continued its momentum, attracting 1.9 million
viewers at 8 p.m. on its third night this week and ranking as the second
most-watched program on Canadian television last night. Dancing With the
Stars doubled the audience for Back To You (Global/FOX), which fell 24%
from its season premiere to 950,000.
The Top 5 programs on Canadian television last night:
1. CSI: New York (2,309,000)
2. Dancing With the Stars (1,886,000)
3. Private Practice (1,616,000)
4. CTV Evening News (1,386,000)
5. Criminal Minds (1,284,000)
Data quoted represents total viewers (2+) for CTV Full and Global Full
(BBM Nielsen Media Research).
For further information:
For further information: Laura Heath, CTV Inc., (416) 332-4633 or