QUEEN'S PARK, ON, April 17 /CNW/ - Today while Conservative Leader John
Tory gives a speech to the Long Term Care & Ontario Retirement Communities
Association, Deputy Premier George Smitherman is reminding Ontarians to look
at the Conservative record when it comes to our seniors.
"The McGuinty Liberals are working hard to clean up the mess left by 8
years of Conservative cuts. John Tory's party turned their backs on seniors,"
The Conservative government legacy of cuts, damage and neglect includes:
- Cut more than $23 million from Long Term Care homes
- Removed minimum standard of care for seniors in Long Term Care homes
- Raised resident fees by 15% over the 2002 Canada Day long Weekend
- Stopped inspecting Long Term Care homes and allowed licenses to lapse
- Cut home care services with a 22% decline in home nursing visits and
a 30% decline in home making visits
- Stood by as hip and knee replacement wait times increased by 21%
By contrast, the McGuinty Liberals have made over $740 million in new
investments in Long Term Care, and made important changes like requiring a
nurse on site 24/7 and dieticians to sign off on diets.
"McGuinty Liberals are working hard to make sure our seniors are treated
with respect, dignity and the highest standard of care possible," said
Smitherman. "The Conservatives want to take us back to the days of damage,
cuts and neglect."
For further information:
For further information: Christine McMillan, (416) 325-3670,