TORONTO, March 18 /CNW/ - Get ready for a 'Wee Bit of Scotland'! Toronto
will come alive with the sights, sounds and tastes of Scotland when
VisitScotland takes over First Canadian Place next week. Open from March 25
through 28, visitors to the Scotland exhibit will enjoy free entertainment and
events daily, including live piping, genealogy searches, haggis tasting,
whisky sampling and celebrity kilts. For further information on the exhibit,
In addition to free entertainment, visitors can enter to win a Scottish
island - a luxurious trip for 4 people. The trip is being given away by
VisitScotland, Canadian Affair and Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch whisky and
the winners will fly direct to Scotland. They'll enjoy a whisky masterclass, a
round of golf and even make their own Harris Tweed on the magnificent island
of Harris in the Outer Hebrides. For more details on this once-in-a-lifetime
trip visit www.winascottishisland.ca.
The following events are free and open to the public:
- Meet a real Clan Chief! Jamie Sempill, the 21st Lord Sempill and
Donald MacLaren of MacLaren, a descendant of King Lorn Mor dating
back to the fifth century will both be on hand - could you be a
- Haggis sampling - Drop by and taste Scotland's national dish -
haggis, during sampling of this traditional Scottish fayre.
- Celebrity Kilts - See kilts worn by Vin Diesel, Liam Neeson and
- Live Music - Check out one of Scotland's hottest live bands,
The Finlay MacDonald Band, at free 'straight up' gigs in the city.
- Sound and dance - Watch Scottish dancers as they are accompanied by a
piper in full Scottish dress.
- Travel to Scotland - Learn more about Canadian Affair's direct
flights to Scotland and you can even book your next vacation!
- Ancestral research - Meet ancestral experts and look up records of
your Scottish relatives.
- Whisky sampling - Enjoy whisky sampling in the LCBO store at First
Canadian place courtesy of Glenfiddich Single Malt Whisky.
Toronto will host free Glenfiddich 'straight up' gigs during the week
which feature exciting Scottish quartet The Finlay MacDonald Band. These take
place in The Mill St Brew Pub, Foggy Dew and Brazen Head. Visit
www.cometoscotland.ca/weebitofscotland for further details and timings.
For more information on all the events which will be taking place at
First Canadian Place, visit www.cometoscotland.ca/weebitofscotland
Notes to Editors
1. According to Statistics Canada, 4.2 million Canadians list Scottish
among their ethnic origins, whether a recent immigrant from Scotland,
or a descendant whose family has lived in Canada for generations.
Sixteen percent of those who reported Scottish ethnic origins live in
2. Glenfiddich "Straight Up" Free Pub Gigs, featuring The Finlay
MacDonald Band, will be taking place at:
- Date: Wednesday, March 26th at 8pm
Venue: Mill Street Brew Pub, 55 Mill Street, Building 63,
Toronto ON M5A 3C4
- Date: Thursday, March 27th at 8pm
Venue: Foggy Dew Pub, 803 King Street West,
Toronto, ON M5V 1N4
- Date: Friday, March 28th at 8pm
Venue: Brazen Head Pub, 165 East Liberty Street,
Toronto, ON M6K 3K4
3. To enter the VisitScotland "Win a Scottish Island" contest in
partnership with Canadian Affair and Glenfiddich Single Malt Whisky,
please visit www.winascottishisland.ca
4. Glenfiddich Single Malt Whisky sampling takes place at the LCBO near
community corner in First Canadian Place:
Date: Tuesday, March 25th - Friday, March 28th
Times: 12-2.30pm Tuesday and Wednesday / 12-2.30pm and 4-6pm
Thursday and Friday
Venue: LCBO store, First Canadian Place, Toronto
5. Canadian Affair are the Canadian tour operator who offer direct
flights to Scotland (Edinburgh and Glasgow). Further information can
be found at www.canadian-affair.ca.
For further information:
For further information: For media enquiries, please contact: Name: Anne
Cousineau, Telephone Number: (905) 875-0606, Email: