OTTAWA, June 25 /CNW Telbec/ - The Royal Canadian Mint is opening its
doors to all on Canada Day to celebrate its centennial with fun-filled family
activities. All activities will take place at the Mint's historic,
100-year-old facility in downtown Ottawa.
Where: Royal Canadian Mint
------ 320 Sussex Drive
When: July 1, 2008
----- 9:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Visitors are invited to...
- Learn more about the history of the Royal Canadian Mint by watching a
special centennial play, running every hour throughout the day until
- Find out more about the fascinating world of coin production by
participating in a free tour of the Mint as well as take some time to
browse for great gift ideas and memorabilia in the Mint's Boutique.
- Exchange coins to receive a 50-cent circulation coin. The 50-cent coin
was the first denomination to be produced at the Royal Canadian Mint
when it opened on January 2, 1908.
- Get their photo taken at the historical photo booth.
- Participate in onsite games and enjoy clowns and face painters.
- Receive a free Mint centennial-themed cookie.
- Enjoy the barbecue that will be held from 10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
(priced to please).
About the Royal Canadian Mint
Over the past century, the Royal Canadian Mint has emerged as a global
leader in minting. A few of its internationally-renowned "firsts" include
developing a revolutionary coin-plating process, producing the world's
thinnest bi-metallic coin, the purest 99.999% bullion gold coin and first
coloured circulation coin in the world.
The Ottawa facility, which occupies the same premises on which the Mint
was founded, produces hand-crafted collector and commemorative coins, gold
bullion coins, medals and medallions. It also houses a gold and silver
refinery. Established in 1976, the Winnipeg Mint is a high-tech, high-volume
manufacturing facility where Canada's circulation coinage is produced, as well
as coins for countries around the world.
For further information:
For further information: Alex Reeves, Manager, Communications, Royal
Canadian Mint, (613) 949-5777, firstname.lastname@example.org