TORONTO, April 16 /CNW/ - CBC News today announced plans to reorganize
all aspects of its newsgathering processes with particular attention to
strengthening its ability to deliver on a 24-hour, seven day multiplatform
news cycle. The reorganization is designed to strengthen its local news while
maintaining its commitment to national and international coverage as Canada's
leading news organization.
"Despite the financial challenges we face as the result of a drastic
decline in advertising revenue and the continuing erosion in real dollars of
our public subsidy, we are proceeding with plans to re-engineer our
operations. The efficiencies achieved will allow us to enhance our overall
news service," Jennifer McGuire, interim head of news, told staff in a
country-wide internal meeting. "Canadians will be better served by these
changes and will continue to receive their news with both the depth and
context they demand."
McGuire noted that while the news initiative has been underway for more
than two years, its urgency has been increased by the requirement, announced
last month, for CBC News to implement reductions of approximately $7 million
and more than 70 positions as part of an overall austerity initiative
"Re-engineering the news department will allow us to increase the number
of hours of local news available on radio, television and online," she adds.
"At the same time, by looking at new ways of doing things, we will be able to
introduce new elements to many of our flagship news programs such as CBC News:
The National, The World at Six and World Report, and on Newsworld and
McGuire said specific announcements of new programs and schedules will
come later this year and through early 2010.
For further information:
For further information: Jeff Keay, media relations, (416) 205-3987,