TORONTO, June 6 /CNW/ - Representatives of the CAW remain frustrated and
disappointed following a meeting this morning in Detroit with top executives
from General Motors, including chief executive officer Rick Wagoner.
Despite this morning's meeting, GM officials are still refusing to change
their decision to close the Oshawa truck assembly plant in 2009. The closure
will mean the loss of 2,600 jobs. GM's current plans are to relocate Oshawa
truck production to facilities in the United States and Mexico.
"I can't accept the logic of GM's decision to close the Oshawa truck
plant," said CAW President Buzz Hargrove. "Only two weeks ago we negotiated a
new collective agreement with GM that outlined production continuing in the
plant for many years," said Hargrove. "The market has not changed so much in
two weeks to justify this outrageous decision by the company."
The CAW blockade of GM headquarters in Oshawa will continue indefinitely
and intensify over the coming days.
CAW national and local leadership and staff will meet following the CAW's
Collective Bargaining and Political Action Convention next week in Toronto to
strategize about the next steps in the union's efforts to have the plant
Earlier this week J.D. Power said the Oshawa truck operation had one of
the top quality ratings among plants in North and South America.
For further information:
For further information: contact CAW Communications, Shannon Devine,
(416) 302-1699; or John McClyment, (416) 495-3766