QUEBEC, June 3 /CNW/ - At the Annual General Meeting of the Canadian Life
and Health Insurance Association Inc. (CLHIA) held in Quebec City today,
Pierre-Yves Julien, President and Chief Executive Officer, Medavie Blue Cross,
was elected as Chairman of the Association for the upcoming year.
"I am very much looking forward to chairing the CLHIA over the next year.
These are particularly important times for Canadians with so many significant
challenges facing our country. I believe that the life and health insurance
industry has a great deal to contribute, for example to the ongoing debate on
health care reform," said Mr. Julien.
During his term in office, Mr. Julien will be working with a
newly-elected Board of Directors. As required by the Association's by-laws,
the Board will include: Chairman Elect, Paul Reaburn, President and Chief
Executive Officer, Transamerica Life Canada (AEGON Canada Inc.); as well as
two past Chairmen, Yvon Charest, President and Chief Executive Officer,
Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc., and Peter McCarthy,
President and Chief Executive Officer, AIG Life Insurance Company of Canada.
They will be joined by other Directors:
- Ronald Beettam, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Equitable
Life Insurance Company of Canada;
- Alain Brunet, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Bank
Life Insurance Company;
- Dominic D'Alessandro, President and Chief Executive Officer, Manulife
- Mary Forrest, Head of North America (Life), Munich Reinsurance
- Mario Georgiev, President, Optimum Reassurance Inc.;
- Gordon Henderson, President and Chief Executive Officer, BMO Life
- D. Allen Loney, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Great-West
Life Assurance Company/London Life Insurance Company/The Canada Life
Assurance Company; and
- Donald A. Stewart, Chief Executive Officer, Sun Life Financial Inc.
Established in 1894, the CLHIA represents companies that together account
for over 99 per cent of Canada's life and health insurance business.
For further information:
For further information: Media queries: Wendy Hope, Vice President,
External Relations, (416) 777-2221 or (416) 565-1853 (cell)