OTTAWA, Feb. 25 /CNW/ - At a gala dinner in Ottawa last night, the 2008
Canadian Consulting Engineering Awards were handed out. This is the 40th
anniversary of the awards, which are given for completed engineering projects.
The annual awards are Canada's highest mark of recognition for projects
by Canadian engineering firms. The program is held jointly by the Association
of Canadian Engineering Companies (ACEC)/L'Association des firmes d'ingénierie
du Canada (AFIC) and Canadian Consulting Engineer magazine.
A new "Tree of Life/Un Arbre à Aimer Award" was given to a project chosen
by the jurors as having great environmental merits.
The Schreyer Award, given every year for the most technically innovative
project, was also announced.
In addition, 10 Awards of Excellence were given.
- Rapid Replacement of Highway 417 Island Park Drive Overpass, Ottawa, by
McCormick Rankin Corporation (part of MMM Group).
This top award for technical innovation went to a project in which two
650-tonne bridge structures over a busy highway were replaced in an
extremely short time -- overnight!
TREE OF LIFE AWARD
- Trees for Tomorrow, Jamaica, by Tecsult International Limited of
This first award for outstanding environmental stewardship went to a
project in which engineers helped to develop sustainable land-use
practices to restore forests and watersheds in the mountains of Jamaica.
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
- National Institute for Nanotechnology, University of Alberta, Edmonton.
By Cohos Evamy integratedesign(TM) (Edmonton) - buildings category.
- Mistissini Community Centre, Quebec. By DESSAU (Montreal) - buildings
- North Arm Bridge, Vancouver. By Buckland & Taylor Ltd. (Vancouver) -
- Kicking Horse Canyon, Phase II, Golden, B.C. By Golder Associates Ltd.
(Squamish, B.C.) with Delcan Corporation - transportation category.
- Karun III Hydro-electric Development Project, Khuzestan, Iran. By Hatch
Energy (Niagara Falls, Ont.), with Mahab Ghodss consulting engineers
(Iran) - water resources & energy production category.
- Intake Works at Niagara Tunnel Facility Project, Niagara Falls,
Ontario. By Morrison Hershfield Limited (Toronto) - water resources &
energy production category.
- Lakeview Water Treatment Plant Expansion, Phase I, Mississauga,
Ontario. By CH2M HILL Canada Limited (Toronto) - water resources & energy
- G.E. Booth (Lakeview) Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion and
Upgrades, Mississauga, Ontario. By AECOM Canada. (Toronto) - water
resources & energy production category.
- Khudi Hydropower Project, Nepal, "From Water to Empowerment." By BPR
inc. (Montreal) - international category.
- Integrateducation(TM) professional development program. By Cohos Evamy
integratedesign(TM) (Edmonton) - community development & in-house
The above winners were selected from 67 entries by a jury of nine
prominent engineers. Co-chairs of the jury were Professor Ghani Razaqpur,
P.Eng., and Martin Holysh, P.Eng.
2008 BEAUBIEN AWARD
Given by ACEC/AFIC
The Beaubien Award is given to individuals for exceptional service to the
association and the consulting engineering industry. This year the award was
given jointly to Peter R. Taylor and Peter Buckland, principals of the
award-winning Vancouver engineering firm Buckland & Taylor Ltd.
The Association of Canadian Engineering Companies/ L'Association des
firmes d'ingénierie du Canada (AFIC) in Ottawa is the national association of
consulting firms that provide engineering and other technology-based
intellectual services. www.acec.ca
Canadian Consulting Engineer is a bi-monthly magazine for engineers in
private practice. It is a division of BIG Magazines LP of Toronto.
The winning projects were described in the October-November issue of
Canadian Consulting Engineer, www.canadianconsultingengineer.com
For further information:
For further information: and photos, contact: Bronwen Parsons, CCE, Tel.
(416) 510-5119, firstname.lastname@example.org; Jeff Morrison, ACEC, Tel. (613) 236-0569,