TORONTO, Aug. 13 /CNW/ - More than 1600 attendees from hundreds of
municipalities across Ontario will participate in the Association of
Municipalities of Ontario's 2009 AMO Conference, August 17 to 19 at The Westin
Ottawa, 11 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa. The Annual AMO Conference is Ontario's
foremost educational forum for municipal governments.
The three-day agenda includes keynote presentations by:
- Dalton McGuinty, Premier of Ontario
- John Baird, Federal Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and
- Pamela Wallin, Senator
- George Smitherman, Deputy Premier and Ontario Minister of Energy and
- Jim Watson, Ontario Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Don Drummond, Senior Vice President and Chief Economist, TD Bank
- Tim Hudak, MPP, Leader of the Official Opposition and the Ontario PC
- Andrea Horwath, MPP, Leader of the Ontario NDP
- Dr. Enid Slack, Director, Institute on Municipal Finance and
In addition, as many as 15 Ontario Government Ministers will answer
questions from conference delegates in an open session at 3:45 PM on August
About 50 plenary sessions and workshops are scheduled, featuring more
than 90 speakers. Priority topics include Canada's economic outlook and local
economic development, harmonized tax, property tax assessment, rural schools
and health care closures, waste diversion, infrastructure, and green energy.
Conference program details are available on-line at www.amo.on.ca.
All media are required to register at the Les Saisons room on the third
floor, Westin Hotel, the Conference`s media resource room.
AMO is a non-profit organization representing almost all of Ontario's 444
municipal governments. AMO supports strong and effective municipal government
in Ontario and promotes the value of municipal government as a vital and
essential component of Ontario and Canada's political system.
For further information:
For further information: Brian Lambie, AMO Media Contact, (416)