Media Advisory - Lieutenant Governor to undertake working visit to Jamaica
KINGSTON, JA, Nov. 16, 2012 /CNW/ - The Honourable David C. Onley, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, will undertake a working visit to Jamaica from 16 to 20 November 2012.
At the invitation of the Jamaica Council for Persons with Disabilities, His Honour will preside at the inaugural Disability Friendly Awards Gala, entitled "Jamaica: Removing Barriers… Creating Access". This event, held under the distinguished patronage of the Governor General of Jamaica, will recognize and honour individuals and groups that have worked to improve accessibility in Jamaica.
While in Jamaica, the Lieutenant Governor will also meet with government officials and other groups, including:
- The Most Honourable Sir Patrick Linton Allen, Governor General of Jamaica
- The Most Honourable Portia Simpson-Miller, Prime Minister of Jamaica
- The Honourable Derrick Kellier, Minister of Labour and Social Security
- The Honourable Floyd Morris, Senator and head of the Centre for Disability Studies at the University of the West Indies
- Mr. Robert Ready, High Commissioner of Canada to Jamaica
- National Advisory Board for Persons with Disabilities
- University of the West Indies
- Members of the Jamaica Defence Force
His Honour is proud to share his unique perspective and experiences, and hopes to further mainstream accessibility awareness in the context of Canada and Jamaica's 50 years of bilateral relations.
Follow LGDavidOnley on Facebook and Twitter
SOURCE: Office of the Lieutenant Governor of OntarioFor further information:
Ms. Ishbel Halliday
Office of the Lieutenant Governor