Office of the Fire Marshal Fire Investigation Report
TORONTO, Nov. 8, 2011 /CNW/ - The Office of the Fire Marshal (OFM) has
completed the investigation into the fire that claimed the lives of two
North Perth Fire Service members on March 17, 2011.
After a comprehensive fire investigation, the fire that occurred in a
commercial building at 245 Main Street West in Listowel has been
determined to have been caused by the use of a propane-fuelled torch
during roof repairs.
Prior to the fire, workers were repairing a leak in the roof of the
building. During the repairs, a fire started in the space between the
roof and the suspended ceiling. The fire burned undetected for a
substantial amount of time.
When fire crews arrived, there was light smoke observed at the roof line
of the building. There were no signs of smoke or fire inside the
building. While firefighters were inside the building, attempting to
locate and extinguish the fire, conditions changed rapidly and within
seconds the roof collapsed. The collapse trapped the two firefighters.
Although immediate rescue efforts were made by fire crews, extreme fire
and smoke conditions made rescue impossible.
"Once again, I wish to express my condolences to the families and
friends of Deputy District Chief Ken Rae and firefighter Raymond
Walter. The OFM's investigation highlights that this tragic fire could
have been prevented. It also illustrates the unique challenges faced by
the fire service when fighting fires in various types of building
construction. As a result of our investigation, the OFM will
incorporate what we have learned into existing training programs
offered at the Ontario Fire College and to fire departments." -- Ted
Wieclawek, Ontario Fire Marshal
SOURCE Office of the Fire Marshal - Media Relations
For further information:
Carol Gravelle, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3138