Fireworks can cause serious injuries and property loss
TORONTO, May 20 /CNW/ -
To minimize the risk of injuries and property loss associated with
fireworks this holiday weekend, the Ontario Fire Marshal is urging
Ontarians to include fire safety into their weekend plans.
"Fireworks are dangerous and can cause serious injuries and property
loss. For these reasons, the fire service does not recommend family
fireworks or informal neighbourhood displays. Leave fireworks to the
professionals. Plan to attend public fireworks displays hosted by your
municipality or other responsible organization this weekend." -Ted
Wieclawek, Ontario Fire Marshal.
If you still choose to have a family fireworks or an informal
neighbourhood display, check with your local fire department about
regulations regarding fireworks.
Appoint a responsible adult to be in charge of discharging fireworks.
Carefully read and follow the label directions on fireworks packaging.
Always keep a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging
Sparklers burn at a very high temperature and can easily cause burns.
Keep sparklers away from children.
To get more information about fireworks and cottage safety, visit www.ofm.gov.on.ca and download the Fireworks Safety Tips fact sheet.
Disponible en français
SOURCE Office of the Fire Marshal - Media Relations
For further information:
Carol Gravelle, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3138
Bev Gilbert, Office of the Fire Marshal, 416-325-3178