Fast and fluid—Fire HDX 8.9 is powered by the latest generation quad-core 2.5 GHz processor and a 70 per cent faster graphics engine
Perfect colour, 339 ppi HDX display features Dynamic Light Control which automatically adjusts the colour of the display to make the pages of a book more closely resemble a piece of paper in any light
First tablet with Dolby Atmos, plus loud and immersive audio that is twice as loud as the iPad Air
Fire OS 4 "Sangria" adds hundreds of new features and platform enhancements, including Smart Suspend and other Amazon-exclusive features
Free, unlimited cloud storage for photos
SEATTLE, Sept. 17, 2014 /CNW/ - (NASDAQ: AMZN)—Amazon today introduced the all-new Fire HDX 8.9 in Canada, which combines a startlingly light design and stunning HDX display with a new, more powerful processor, exclusive Dolby Atmos and the latest Dolby audio, and all-new Fire OS 4 "Sangria" features and services. The new Fire HDX is available for pre-order starting today for just CDN$399—learn more at www.amazon.ca/hdx.
The new Fire HDX features:
- Powerful 2.5 GHz processor with a 70 per cent faster graphics engine for exceptional speed and fluidity, especially for graphically-intensive games.
- Exclusive HDX display with incredible pixel density (339 ppi) and perfect 100 per cent sRGB colour accuracy—now with Dynamic Light Control, which makes the pages of a book more closely resemble a real piece of paper in different lighting conditions.
- Startlingly light design—20 per cent lighter than iPad Air.
- Exclusive new audio—twice as loud as iPad Air, with crisp, clear sound and no distortion; plus Fire HDX is the first tablet with Dolby Atmos.
- Fastest Wi-Fi, with support for 802.11ac MIMO which delivers up to 4x the peak bandwidth.
- Powered by the latest version of Fire OS—Fire OS 4 "Sangria"—with hundreds of new and upgraded features, platform updates, and Amazon-exclusive services.
- Free, unlimited cloud storage of photos taken with Fire tablets, automatically backed-up wirelessly.
- Front-facing HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with Skype; 8MP rear-facing camera allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, and includes an LED flash, Electronic Image Stabilization, and a wide-aperture f/2.2 lens. The Camera application also allows customers to capture panoramas, lenticulars, and HDR recommended shots, and the film strip gives access to recent photos and videos, along with the ability to view, edit, share, and delete right from the camera.
"The team has packed an incredible amount of technology and innovation into the new Fire HDX—an exclusive HDX display, a powerful quad-core processor, a 70 per cent faster graphics engine, exceptional audio with Dolby Atmos, and the fastest Wi-Fi—and it's still startlingly light," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO.
Exceptional Performance, World-Class Hardware
2.5 GHz, Quad-Core Processor Plus 70 per cent Faster Graphics Engine
Fire HDX is the first tablet powered by the most advanced quad-core Snapdragon 805 processor, with each core running at up to 2.5 GHz. With the updated CPU and a 70 per cent faster GPU than the previous generation Fire HDX, the all-new Fire HDX provides fast and fluid gaming and video.
Exclusive HDX Display—Plus Dynamic Light Control
With 30 per cent more pixels than iPad's Retina display, Amazon's exclusive HDX display combines exceptional pixel density (over 4 million pixels, 339 ppi) and perfect colour accuracy (100 per cent sRGB) resulting in the most lifelike images. The HDX display features Dynamic Light Control, which changes the white point of the display based on the ambient light of the surroundings in order to make the page of a Kindle book more closely resemble a piece of paper—this makes the best reading experience on a tablet even better on the new Fire HDX. Dynamic Light Control will be enabled starting later this year as part of a free, over-the-air software update.
Exceptional Audio—The First Tablet with Dolby Atmos
Fire HDX is twice as loud as an iPad Air, delivering crisp, clear audio without distortion. The new Fire HDX is the first tablet with Dolby Atmos, which creates a new mobile headphone experience with multidimensional sound that flows above and around you. In a movie with Dolby Atmos, sound moves around you to match what you see on the screen—rain on a roof, airplanes taking off—so you'll hear the sounds where they would be in real life.
Startlingly Light Design—20 per cent Lighter than Air
Fire HDX is startlingly light, 20 per cent lighter than iPad Air. Weighing just 374 grams, Fire HDX's frame is made of a single piece of machined magnesium with a blend of glass and nylon molded onto the unibody to create openings for the antennas and maximize signal strength without sacrificing weight or durability.
Incredible Real-World Battery Life—Even Longer with Smart Suspend
Even with a faster, more power-hungry processor, Fire HDX delivers incredible battery life—up to 12 hours of reading, surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos, and listening to music—without adding weight or thickness to the design. The new Fire HDX also has weeks of standby battery life, so you don't have to worry about waking up in the morning to find your tablet battery depleted because you forgot to plug it in. This standby battery life is made possible by combining power-efficient hardware components, low-level software improvements, and a new feature called Smart Suspend. Smart Suspend develops a device-specific profile for when the tablet is typically not in use and proactively turns wireless off and on to save power. Smart Suspend will still turn on Wi-Fi periodically to fetch new emails or app notifications, so when you pick up your tablet it's ready to go and up to date.
Fastest Wireless—4x the Peak Bandwidth with 802.11ac
Fire HDX supports the latest-generation wireless standard 802.11ac, which is capable of a peak bandwidth of 600Mbps, 4x the peak bandwidth of the previous generation Fire HDX.
The new Origami cover is 20 per cent lighter than the previous generation, and attaches magnetically so it's easy to take on and off. The Origami design provides a stable stand for both portrait and landscape positions, and automatically turns the tablet on when it's opened, and off when it's closed. The cover features a custom slide feature that quickly exposes the rear-facing camera and automatically launches the camera application so you won't miss a great photo opportunity. The cover is available starting at CDN$54.99—learn more at www.amazon.ca/origami.
Introducing Fire OS 4 "Sangria"
Fire HDX is powered by the newest version of Fire OS—Fire OS 4 "Sangria"—which introduces hundreds of new and updated features. Fire OS delivers the most customer-friendly Android user interface—it starts with Android KitKat, and improves upon it by deeply integrating the hardware, platform, software, content, and the Amazon cloud. If an app runs on Android, it can run on Fire OS with little to no work.
View, Edit, and Create Office Documents, for Free
Fire HDX comes pre-loaded with WPS Office, the most popular Android Office app with over 245 million customers and 250,000 five-star reviews. This lets you create, edit, and view Office documents, and is fully compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. WPS Office also integrates with Cloud Drive, so Office documents created or edited on Fire HDX are automatically backed up and available through the Cloud Drive app on other mobile devices and computers.
All the Content
Amazon offers a massive selection of digital content—millions of apps, games, and books—including hundreds of thousands of exclusives:
- Over 300,000 apps and games in the Amazon Appstore worldwide, including the most popular titles like Facebook, Netflix, Songza, Twitter, Angry Birds Stella, Minecraft, and more. Apps are tested for the Amazon Appstore and Fire tablets.
- Millions of books, including hundreds of thousands of titles that are exclusive to the Kindle Store. Over a million titles are $3.99 or less, over two million are $9.99 or less.
The Fire Family
Fire HDX 8.9 is CDN$399. It is available for pre-order starting today at www.amazon.ca/hdx and will start shipping November 6.
Fire HDX 7 will continue to be available and will receive the Fire OS 4 update with many of these features later this year. Order today at www.amazon.ca/hdx-7 for just CDN$254.
Amazon also today introduced the new Fire HD which comes with a stunning 6" or 7" HD display, quad-core processor, Dolby Digital audio, front- and rear-facing cameras, and an incredibly reliable design—and starts at just $134. Order today at www.amazon.ca/fire-hd.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.
For further information: Andrew Gouveia, Sonic Boom, T 416-848-1385, firstname.lastname@example.org