TORONTO, May 2, 2011 /CNW/ - Once again, GO Transit is proud to support Operation Lifesaver's Rail Safety Week from May 2 to 6, 2011. The week focuses on educating the public about rail safety in an effort to reduce crossing collisions and pedestrian incidents along Canada's railways.
GO always encourages its passengers and the public to be careful near rail property, at rail crossings and on platforms. During Rail Safety Week, GO will place special emphasis on educating commuters about rail safety.
Some rail safety tips:
- Stand back from the yellow line on platforms as freight and express
trains can pass at any time in either direction at high speeds. The
yellow line indicates a safe distance from the tracks.
- Stay alert and be aware of potential risks when near railway tracks.
Look, listen and live.
- Only cross train tracks at designated rail crossings when the tracks
- Trespassing on railway property is not only unsafe but also illegal.
Visit operationlifesaver.ca for more information about rail safety.
During Rail Safety Week, GO Transit Safety officers will be on hand during
the morning and afternoon commutes at select GO stations reminding riders of
the potential risks around railway tracks and best practices to stay safe.
- Weston GO Station on Monday, May 2
- Brampton GO Station on Tuesday, May 3
- Aurora GO Station on Wednesday, May 4
- Mount Joy GO Station on Thursday, May 5
- Markham GO Station on Friday, May 6
We promise to always take your safety seriously, visit gotransit.com/promise/safety.
For more information on GO services, the public can call 416.869.3200, 1.888.GET ON GO (438.6646), 1.800.387.3652 TTY, or visit gotransit.com.
GO Transit is the Province of Ontario's interregional public transit system linking Toronto with the surrounding regions of the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area. GO carries about 57 million passengers a year in an extensive network of train and bus services that spans over 10,000 square kilometres. GO Transit is a division of Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario. Follow GO on Twitter and Facebook.
Disponible en français
SOURCE GO Transit
For further information: Media enquiries - Vanessa Thomas, (416) 874-5974 or Malon Edwards, (416) 874-5945.