Canadian Public Relations Society of Nova Scotia Gemstone Awards - one Gem of a Night
HALIFAX, May 14, 2012 /CNW/ - Atlantic Canadian public relations and communications practitioners gathered at the Westin Nova Scotian on Thursday, May 10 to celebrate excellence in public relations at the annual Gemstone Awards presented by Frischkorn Audiovisual and Egg Films.
The evening was hosted by Nancy Regan, Halifax's familiar television host, actor and writer. Five Gemstone awards were presented.
"CPRS NS is honoured to showcase excellence in the field of public relations and communications within Atlantic Canada," says Nadia Hinds, CPRS NS President. "We recognize the important role that communications plays in shaping and developing the region."
Amethyst and Jasper Gemstone Award recipients included:
- An Amethyst Merit Award to Dalhousie University for the submission, Dalhousie University - Smoke Free Campus
- An Amethyst Merit Award to Nalcor Energy for the submission, Social Media for Nalcor
- An Amethyst Gemstone Award to MT&L Public Relations Limited for the submission, Expanding understanding about expanding aquaculture: Cooke Aquaculture in Nova Scotia
- A Jasper Merit Award to the Canadian National Institute for the Blind for the submission, CNIB 1000 Challenge
- A Jasper Merit Award to MT&L Public Relations for the submission, Celebrating the opening of the region's largest wind farm - Shear Wind 2011
Each year CPRS NS awards a $1,000 scholarship to a deserving public relations student in Nova Scotia. The scholarship seeks to recognize and support outstanding achievement by public relations students, based on their academic record, volunteer, professional achievements and based on their ability to articulate why they have chosen to pursue public relations as a career.
The 2012 student scholarship was awarded to Travis Price, an anti-bullying advocate who started Pink Shirt Day along with a friend at Central Kings Rural High in the Annapolis Valley. Price views public relations as an integral resource for advocacy around issues impacting kids.
Sponsors of the 2012 Gemstone Awards include, Egg Films, Frischkorn Audiovisual, Communications Nova Scotia, Atlantic Business Magazine, Canada News Wire, MT&L Public Relations Limited, LimeLight Group, Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Royal Bank of Canada, Cape Consulting Group, Snap Halifax, The Westin Nova Scotia, Simple Touch Event Decor Inc. and Advocate Printing.
For more information about CPRS NS or the Gemstone Awards please visit, www.cprsns.comFor further information:
Phone- (902) 483-0436