Media Advisory: Commissioner Cavoukian to hold public Symposium on Jan. 27 - Beware of "Surveillance by Design:" Standing Up for Freedom and Privacy
TORONTO, Jan. 23, 2012 /CNW/ - To commemorate International Privacy Day, Dr. Ann Cavoukian, Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, is holding a public Symposium to raise awareness of the privacy implications of online surveillance and proposed federal "lawful access" legislation.
SYMPOSIUM: Beware of "Surveillance by Design:" Standing Up for Freedom and Privacy
|Date & Time:||Friday, January 27, from 9:00am to 11:00am ET|
MaRS Discovery District, MaRS Centre South tower, Suite 100
(Auditorium - Lower Level), 101 College Street, Toronto, ON
- Dr. Ann Cavoukian, Information and Privacy Commissioner, Ontario, Canada;
- A. Alan Borovoy, General Counsel, Emeritus, Canadian Civil Liberties Association;
- Professor John Villasenor, The Brookings Institution and UCLA;
- Dr. Ron Deibert, Professor, Political Science, University of Toronto;
- John Ibbitson, Ottawa Bureau Chief, Globe and Mail;
- Nathalie Des Rosiers, General Counsel, Canadian Civil Liberties Association;
- David Fraser, Partner, McInnes Cooper Privacy Practice Group.
Members of the public wishing to attend the event can register here. Media planning to attend, please register with the contact below.
LIVE WEBCAST OF THE SYMPOSIUM
For those wishing to attend virtually, this event will be webcast live and fully archived. Click here to register for the webcast.
Visit our recently-launched website for more event details, as well as information regarding our concerns about "lawful access" legislation and our positive solutions to address them. You will also find our Write My MP tool, where citizens can easily write their Member of Parliament and urge the government to reconsider the proposed laws.
Direct line: 416-326-3939