Who are the 100 wealthiest people in Canada?
- Find out in Canadian Business magazine's annual exclusive ranking of the most affluent Canadians -
- PLUS: the people who manage family fortunes, the jet set's latest playthings and our wealthiest celebrities -
- The magazine's top-selling issue, the special RICH 100 celebration of affluence and achievement, is on newsstands now -
TORONTO, Oct. 6, 2011 /CNW/ - Despite a declining fortune and competition from four newcomers to the Rich 100 list, Toronto's Thomson family remains at the top of Canadian Business magazine's annual Rich 100 for the 13th year in a row.
What does it take to make it on to the RICH 100? This year, those Canadians who have amassed between $21.34 billion (the Thomson family, whose wealth declined by 8.7%) and $559 million (Nova Scotia's Jodrey family, #100 on the list), made the cut.
Movers and shakers
The highest climber on the 13th annual Rich 100 is Chip Wilson, who jumped from #49 last year (which was a climb from #78 in 2009) to #15 this year, thanks to investor interest in Vancouver-based Lululemon. His worth rose this year by 128% to $2.85 billion.
Four newcomers and a returning entry
The RICH 100 adds four new wealthy Canadians this year: Toronto's Apostolopoulos family of Triple Properties Inc. debuts at # 79. K. (Rai) Sahi of Toronto's Morguard Corp. and Clublink Enterprises ranks #90; Serge Godin of Montreal's CGI Group debuts at #93; and Kapuskasing, Ont.-born Hollywood producer James Cameron ranks #94. Alain Bouchard of Laval, Que.'s Alimentation Couche-Tard makes a return at # 86. He last made the list in 2007 at #95.
TOP 3 ON THE CANADIAN BUSINESS MAGAZINE RICH 100 LIST 2011
1. Thomson Family
(Thomson Reuters, Woodbridge Co. Ltd.)
Net worth: $21.34 billion, down 8.7% (from last year)
2. Galen Weston
(George Weston Ltd., Loblaw Cos. Ltd., Holt Renfrew)
Net worth: $8 billion, down 5.8%
3. James (J.K.), Arthur, and estate of John (Jack) Irving
(Irving Oil Ltd., J.D. Irving Ltd.)
Saint John, N.B.
Net worth: $7.8 billion, up 4.5%
For the full list of Canada's 100 wealthiest people, pick up the latest issue of Canadian Business magazine, on newstands now, or place a request with the contact below.
Really conspicuous consumption
When money's no object, the wealthy elites are flocking to these new status symbols. Town-ownership, anyone?
- Your own private CFO: The lives and finances of many of Canada's richest are so complex, they have their own collection of professionals, filling the roles of CEO, CFO and COO of their lives.
- The richest famous: While producer James Cameron (#94 on the Rich 100) is our wealthiest celebrity, who are the other top 5? (Hint: Two of them are singers and two of them are actors.)
About Canadian Business magazine:
Founded in 1928, Canadian Business is the longest-serving, best-selling and most-trusted business publication in Canada. Canadian Business stands alone as the business magazine in Canada with 100% paid circulation. With a readership of more than one million, the magazine is published every second Monday, except in January, July and August, when monthly issues are published. Special annual issues of Canadian Business include the Investor 500, the MBA Guide, the Rich 100 and Winners and Losers. Visit www.canadianbusiness.com
Image with caption: "The Canadian Business magazine ranking of the wealthiest Canadians is in its 13th year. At the top of the list? The Thomson family. (CNW Group/Canadian Business Magazine)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20111006_C9899_PHOTO_EN_4177.jpgFor further information: