PepsiCo Canada named Top 50 Socially Responsible Company in Canada by Maclean's Magazine
MISSISSAUGA, ON, June 9, 2011 /CNW/ - PepsiCo Canada today was named by Maclean's magazine as one of the country's top 50 socially responsible companies, according to Jantzi-Sustainalytics, a global leader in sustainability analysis. Companies in Canada were selected on the basis of their performance across a broad range of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) indicators. The winners are published in today's edition of Maclean's magazine.
"We're very proud of our accomplishments and ongoing commitment to operate as a socially responsible company, and honoured to be recognized among the very best in Canada," said Richard Glover, president of PepsiCo Beverages Canada. "At PepsiCo Canada, we're committed to achieving business and financial success while leaving a positive imprint on society - delivering what we call Performance with Purpose. It's at the heart of every aspect of our business."
Marc Guay, president of Pepsico Foods Canada adds, "We have a relentless focus on product and process innovation and bring a progressive environmental mindset that looks at our full product life cycle. To reduce our footprint we are constantly examining our manufacturing and distribution processes and have implemented intensive recycling, water and waste reduction programs."
PepsiCo Canada and Pepsico globally addresses social and environmental issues through human, environmental and talent sustainability. A few notable highlights of the company's sustainability achievements in Canada include:
PepsiCo Canada has focused its environmental sustainability efforts on water, energy and packaging - areas where it can make the biggest impact - and has extended its outreach to franchised bottlers and its supply chain, including agricultural partners.
PepsiCo Foods Canada:
- Has achieved 98% Waste Diversion from landfill and 40% water usage reduction at their manufacturing plants
- Was the first manufacturer in Canada to introduce all-electric, zero emissions, green powered delivery trucks into its distribution network
PepsiCo Beverages Canada:
- Reduced the water required for each litre of production by over 12% since 2007
- Increased internal recycling at our plants and warehouses to 88% in 2010
- Launched the reNEWabottle, a clear bottle made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic for our Naked Juice brand
- Plastic (PET) bottles are on average 36% lighter than they were when first implemented and include 10% recycled content
- Use aluminum cans which contain over 40% recycled content and all PET and aluminum beverage packages are 100% recyclable in Canada
- Has saved more than 12 billion liters of water (versus 2006 baseline) through operational efficiency improvements
- Pioneered and launched the world's first compostable chip bag for our Sun Chips brand
PepsiCo Canada is committed to playing a responsible and supportive role in the health and wellness of Canadians.
- The company has reformulated many of its existing products to reduce total fat, trans fat, saturated fat, sodium and added sugars, while increasing the whole grain, fruit, fibre and micronutrient content of its products
- PepsiCo Canada is a founding participant of the Canadian Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CCFBAI) whereby the company does not advertise to children under 12 years of age
- PepsiCo Canada proudly supports the Nutrition Facts Education Campaign, a collaboration of Health Canada and Food & Consumer Products of Canada
- PepsiCo Canada donated $1.2 million to support grassroots community projects in 2010 through the innovative Pepsi Refresh Project, allowing employees and the general public to propose their own ideas to have a positive impact on communities from coast to coast
- In 2010 PepsiCo Canada raised over $1 million for United Way and received the first-ever Community Builder Award
- PepsiCo Canada employs nearly 10,000 Canadians who are united in their commitment to supporting their communities. This is achieved through national charitable partnerships, employee volunteerism and philanthropy
- PepsiCo Canada's national charitable partners include the United Way, Food Banks Canada, The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation, and ONEXONE. The company also partners with local charitable organizations in PepsiCo Canada communities as part of National Volunteer Week
About Macleans/Jantzi-Sustainalytics Top 50 Socially Responsible
Companies in Canada
The Top 50 Socially Responsible Companies in Canada were selected on the basis of their performance across a broad range of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) indicators tracked by Jantzi -Sustainalytics. The companies selected rank at the top of their respective peer groups and have demonstrated strong performance in areas such as environmental initiatives, impact on local communities, treatment of employees and supply chain management. For more information visit http://sustainalytics.com/
PepsiCo Canada and the Pepsi Brand
PepsiCo's businesses in Canada are organized into two business units. PepsiCo Foods Canada includes Frito Lay Canada and the Quaker Foods & Snacks business. PepsiCo Beverages Canada includes the Pepsi, Gatorade and Tropicana businesses. The Pepsi Brand has been bringing fun and refreshment to Canadian consumers for over 75 years. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.ca.
Follow PepsiCo Canada:
PepsiCo offers the world's largest portfolio of billion-dollar food and beverage brands, including 19 different product lines that generate more than $1 billion in annual retail sales each. Our main businesses -- Quaker, Tropicana, Gatorade, Frito-Lay, and Pepsi Cola -- also make hundreds of other enjoyable and wholesome foods and beverages that are respected household names throughout the world. With net revenues of approximately $60 billion, PepsiCo's people are united by our unique commitment to sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet, which we believe also means a more successful future for PepsiCo. We call this commitment Performance with Purpose: PepsiCo's promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages for local tastes; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment, including by conserving energy and water usage, and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for our associates; and to respect, support, and invest in the local communities where we operate. For more information, please visit www.pepsico.com.
National Manager, Communications & Community Relations
PepsiCo Beverages Canada
Manager, Communications & Community Relations
PepsiCo Foods Canada