Bedrocan Cannabis Corp. launches Medical Advisory Board
Leading International Medical and Cannabinoid Experts to Advise Bedrocan on Research Program and Clinically-Appropriate Uses of Medicinal Cannabis
TORONTO, Sept. 3, 2014 /CNW/ - Bedrocan Cannabis Corp. (TSXV: BED), previously Bedrocan Canada Inc. ("Bedrocan") has established a Medical Advisory Board to provide expert counsel to the company regarding its ongoing research programs and the clinically-appropriate uses of medicinal cannabis by patients with legitimate medical needs. The advisory board includes physicians specializing in pain management, psychiatry, medical oncology, and physical rehabilitation, as well as a PhD expert in medicinal cannabis and plant-based medicines. Each member has clinical and/or research experience in the use of cannabis for the management of symptoms associated with chronic health conditions.
The Medical Advisory Board members are:
- Dr. Donald Abrams, Chief of the Hematology-Oncology Division at San Francisco General Hospital, Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, and one of the world's foremost experts - as a researcher and clinician - in the medicinal uses of cannabis
- Dr. Aline Boulanger, Director of the Pain Clinics at both Centre hospitalier de l'Université de Montréal (CHUM) and Hôpital du Sacré-Cœur de Montréal, and Associate Professor and Director of the Pain Medicine program at the Université de Montréal Faculty of Medicine's Department of Anesthesiology
- Dr. Karen Ethans, Director of the Spinal Cord Unit at Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre, and Associate Professor in the University of Manitoba, Department of Internal Medicine's Section of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Dr. Martin Katzman, Clinic Director and Staff Psychiatrist at Toronto's START Clinic (Stress, Trauma, Anxiety Rehabilitation and Treatment) for Mood and Anxiety Disorders, and a faculty member at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (Laurentian University and Lakehead University) as well as in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto
- Arno Hazekamp, PhD, Head of Research and Development for Bedrocan BV, the official grower of medicinal cannabis in the Netherlands, whose PhD program at the Leiden-Amsterdam Center for Drug Research focused on the medicinal properties of the cannabis plant and its practical use in modern medicine, and who is a globally-recognized expert in the chemical analysis, quality control, and product development of medicinal cannabis
"We are honoured to have five members of such eminence and experience to guide Bedrocan as we continue to supply Canadian patients with the highest quality pharmaceutical-grade medicinal cannabis, and as we continue to expand both our production capability and our clinical research program," said Marc Wayne, President and CEO of Bedrocan. "Their advice and counsel will support our mission to provide patients and healthcare professionals with safe, effective and consistent medicine for the appropriate management of diagnosed health conditions."
"There is sufficient clinical research and clinical experience to conclude that cannabis, used judiciously, can be effective medicine in managing pain and certain symptoms of chronic health conditions in appropriate patients," said Dr. Donald Abrams. "I am impressed with Bedrocan's professional approach to the use of medicinal cannabis, and their commitment to providing patients and physicians with factual, unbiased information on the potential benefits, risks and side effects of cannabis as medicine."
Bedrocan and Bedrocan BV are leaders in medicinal cannabis research and product innovation and have been producing and supplying government-regulated medicinal cannabis for 13 years. Bedrocan's strains of pharmaceutical-grade cannabis are used by patients in seven countries, including Canada. The company is committed to clinical research with ISO 9001-rated production processes and product development, on an international scale. Bedrocan is one of only two companies currently supplying pharmaceutical-grade medicinal cannabis in Canada. Bedrocan Cannabis Corp. trades on the TSX Venture Exchange under the symbol "BED". www.bedrocan.ca
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as
that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange)
accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
SOURCE Bedrocan Cannabis Corp.For further information:
Cam Battley, Bedrocan Cannabis Corp.
Jennifer Wood, TMX Equicom
+1.416.815.0700, ext. 226