Weekend at the Peel Basin - Parks Canada launches the 2014 back-to-school event at the Lachine Canal
MONTREAL, August 25, 2014 /CNW Telbec/ - Parks Canada has unveiled its program for the 2014 back-to-school event at the Lachine Canal: Weekend at the Peel Basin. On September 13 and 14, the public is invited to attend free musical performances by popular groups, such as Beat Market, and to participate in a wide range of outdoor activities as though Canada's national parks had come to town. Everyone will be able to enjoy delicious street food and lots of surprises.
Through initiatives like these, Parks Canada is supporting Canada's National Conservation Plan by taking practical action to connect Canadians to nature. In addition, the ongoing work of Parks Canada and its programs, special events and exciting new activities across the country are enhancing visitor experience and facilitating personal connections with Parks Canada administered places.
A tasty and musical Saturday
With the iconic Farine Five Roses sign shining above the Lachine Canal, the Weekend at the Peel Basin will start at 6:30 p.m. on September 13 with a festive food gathering on the docks, where visitors will be able to enjoy the countless flavours offered by street food trucks.
The Peel Basin will then turn into a dance floor for a rare outdoor DJ-style performance by French Fox and Beat Market. Under the big top circus tent, moving to the beat of trains coming and going, these popular groups will thrill electronic music lovers until 10:30 p.m.
Sunday: Wiggle and waggle on the wharf!
The Weekend at the Peel Basin will continue on September 14, as many of the activities offered in Canada's national treasures will be featured in the heart of the city to provide a full day of free outdoor activities that will also include street food and background music.
From 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Parks Canada and its partners will offer an array of activities including bike and boat tours, Rabaska canoeing, climbing, slack-lining and much more! These activities will highlight the incredible range of activities offered by national parks. Indie pop/nu-disco background music will be provided by the musical groups Le Couleur and Fonkyson.
- The 2014 back-to-school event at the Lachine Canal, Weekend at the Peel Basin, will take place on September 13 and 14.
- Parks Canada and its partners have organized a weekend filled with free outdoor activities such as kayaking, biking, and climbing, along with musical performances by groups such as Beat Market and Le Couleur and street food.
- All summer long, the banks of the Lachine Canal are coming to life with a rich and varied program. Come discover national parks in the heart of Montreal, during the Weekend at the Peel Basin! A not-to-be-missed event this September!
"Parks Canada invites the public to experience the best of what our national treasures have to offer during the Weekend at the Peel Basin event. Through such initiatives, Parks Canada helps bring Canadians closer to history and nature, while supporting the National Conservation Plan. It is also a great opportunity to highlight the Peel Basin's extraordinary potential for hosting all kinds of events."
Luc-André Mercier, Director, Quebec Waterways, Parks Canada
- Lachine Canal National Historic Site: www.parkscanada.gc.ca/lachinecanal
- We're also on Twitter! @LachineCanal
- Lisbon Lux Records www.lisbonluxrecords.com/
SOURCE Agence Parcs Canada - Unité des voies navigablesFor further information: Audrey Godin-Champagne, Public Relations and Communications Officer, Quebec Waterways, Parks Canada, Tel.: 450-447-4888, email@example.com