NEB announces public hearing for NGTL's Wolverine River Lateral Loop (Carmon Creek Section) application
CALGARY, July 18, 2014 /CNW/ - The National Energy Board (NEB or the Board) will hold a public hearing to consider an application filed by NOVA Gas Transmission Ltd. (NGTL) requesting approval to construct and operate the Wolverine River Lateral Loop (Carmon Creek Section) Project (the Project).
The location of the proposed Project is approximately 35 km northeast of Peace River, Alberta, and would involve the construction and operation of a 61 km pipeline, 508 mm (20 inches) in diameter, to transport sweet natural gas. Approximately 56 km of the pipeline would be built alongside existing linear disturbances. Other Project facilities would include tie-in connections to existing facilities, valve sites, launcher and receiver facilities for inline inspection, and cathodic protection.
The date, location, time, venue and anticipated length of the oral portion of the hearing will be communicated at a later date.
The NEB has identified a number of issues for consideration during the hearing, including:
- the need for the proposed Project;
- the economic feasibility of the proposed Project;
- the potential commercial impacts of the proposed Project;
- the potential environmental and socio-economic effects of the proposed Project; including those to be considered under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012;
- the appropriateness of the general route and land requirements for the proposed Project;
- the engineering design and integrity of the proposed Project;
- potential impacts of the proposed Project on Aboriginal interests;
- contingency planning, including emergency response planning, for releases or spills; accidents or malfunctions, during construction and operation of the Project; and
- the terms and conditions to be included in any approval or recommendation.
The Board has granted standing to all three applicants who have submitted an application to participate in this process. As a result, the Board may hear from two intervenors and one commenter.
The NEB is an independent federal regulator of several parts of Canada's energy industry with the safety of Canadians and protection of the environment as its top priority. Its purpose is to regulate pipelines, energy development and trade in the Canadian public interest.
Please visit the NEB website for general information about the hearing. To access the information, go to www.neb-one.gc.ca and select Major Applications and Projects.
This news release and the Hearing Order are also available on the Board's website under What's New!
SOURCE National Energy BoardFor further information: Stacey Squires, Communications Officer, E-mail: email@example.com, Telephone: 403-299-2717, Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265, Facsimile: 403-292-5503, Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803, TTY (teletype): 1-800-632-1663; For a copy of the Hearing Order: National Energy Board Library, 517 Tenth Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2R 0A8, Telephone: 403-299-3561, Telephone (toll free): 1-800-899-1265, Facsimile: 403-292-5576, Facsimile (toll free): 1-877-288-8803, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org