Vaughan celebrates Andrew Wiggins Day
VAUGHAN, ON, June 20, 2014 /CNW/ - The City of Vaughan will celebrate Andrew Wiggins Day on Thursday, June 26 – Draft Day for the National Basketball Association.
Vaughan Councillors approved a resolution on May 27, 2014 to honour the basketball prospect. Andrew Wiggins grew up in the community of Thornhill and attended Vaughan Secondary School. He is recognized as one of the top college basketball players in the United States and is considered among the favourites to be selected as the number one draft pick in the 2014 NBA draft.
"It's important to celebrate the achievements of people in our community who exemplify the very best of what Canadian citizenship is all about. Andrew Wiggins is a role model for young people and young athletes in his hometown of Vaughan and beyond because he inspires the belief that with hard work and dedication our goals can be achieved. On behalf of the City of Vaughan, I want to wish Andrew all the best on this special day."
-Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua
- Andrew Wiggins led the Vaughan Secondary School basketball team to a provincial championship in 2011 before heading to Huntington Prep School in the United States.
- Andrew Wiggins starred as a freshman with the Kansas Jayhawks, and then declared his intention to play in the NBA.
- The City of Vaughan is committed to raising the activity levels of all residents through its Active Together Master Plan and Physical Activity Strategy.
- The aim of the Physical Activity Strategy is to increase activity levels by 10 per cent and reduce "screen time" by 10 per cent by the year 2020.
- Council resolution declaring Andrew Wiggins Day
- City of Vaughan website
- City of Vaughan's Active Together Master Plan
- Kansas Jayhawks basketball
The City of Vaughan is one of Canada's fastest growing communities with a population of more than 310,000. Vaughan is located in the heart of York Region and the Greater Toronto Area, and borders the City of Toronto to the south.
Vaughan has been recognized as one of the best places to live in Canada and has one of the country's leading economies. The City is home to a diverse and expanding business community of more than 10,000 businesses.
A culturally diverse municipality, Vaughan residents speak 99 different languages. The City has been recognized for its innovative and interactive recreation guide and received awards for its cultural events, festivals and youth programs.
Vaughan is a city for the future with a dynamic downtown taking shape – the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre – a subway expansion, the extension of Highway 427, and a new hospital.
Visit the City of Vaughan's website at www.vaughan.ca.
SOURCE City of VaughanFor further information: Media Contact: Anne Winstanley, Communications Specialist, 905-832-8585 ext. 8024, email@example.com, www.vaughan.ca