First Heritage Lighthouse Designated in Quebec - Île aux Perroquets lighthouse in Mingan Archipelago protected for future generations
OTTAWA, April 11, 2014 /CNW/ - Today, the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, designated Quebec's very first heritage lighthouse under Canada's Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act on the recommendation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. The Île aux Perroquets lighthouse is located in the enchanting setting of the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve of Canada.
The Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act, which was adopted in 2008, allows for the protection of federally owned lighthouses on Canada's coastal and inland waters that have significant heritage value. Administered by Parks Canada, the Act helps ensure that Canada's maritime history is protected for the benefit and enjoyment of present and future generations.
Canadians have nominated hundreds of lighthouses to be considered for designation under the Act.
- The Île aux Perroquets lighthouse was built in 1951. The tower is typical of the replacement towers built by the Government of Canada in the years following the Second World War.
- The lighthouse will be transferred to the Corporation de l'Île aux Perroquets, which manages the lighthouse station and will preserve its heritage character.
- Starting next summer, visitors will be able to enjoy a pleasant overnight stay on the island and view the extensive work carried out by the Corporation and Parks Canada to restore the lighthouse station buildings.
- The first lighthouse station in the region was built on Île aux Perroquets in 1888, more than 125 years ago.
"I am proud of my government's undertaking to preserve heritage lighthouses across Canada for future generations. I am also very pleased that the Corporation de l'Île aux Perroquets is revitalizing this lighthouse in order to make it a key tourist attraction in the Mingan Region and thus boost the regional economy."
The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of the Economic Development Agency of Canada for the Regions of Quebec and Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Heritage Lighthouses of Canada (home page)
- Designated Lighthouses
- Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act
- Corporation de l'île aux Perroquets
- Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve
- Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
SOURCE Parks Canada
Image with caption: "Today, the Île aux Perroquets Lighthouse was designated a heritage lighthouse. This lighthouse will be transferred to the Corporation de l'Île aux Perroquets. (CNW Group/Parks Canada)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140411_C9081_PHOTO_EN_38968.jpgFor further information:
Office of the Minister of the Environment