Lucky Class from Rivière-au-Renard, Quebec, Wins Canada's Coolest School Trip!
Off they go to explore Parks Canada places on the beautiful coast of British Columbia
RIVIÈRE-AU-RENARD, QC, April 3, 2014 /CNW/ - The competition was fierce and hopes were high for the classes who participated in the amazing video competition to win Canada's Coolest School Trip. In the end, only one class could win the trip of a lifetime to visit Parks Canada's treasured places on the magnificent coast of British Columbia. The anticipation was palpable in the gymnasium of École Antoine-Roy, and when it was announced on behalf of Minister Leona Aglukkaq that they had won, the entire school erupted in cheers!
As part of this initiative, the winners will embark on a four-day trip in June where they will participate in some truly Canadian experiences along the coast of British Columbia. They will go whale watching and kayaking on the emerald waters of Gulf Islands National Park Reserve, live the life of a soldier of the First or Second World War at Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site, connect with the traditions of local First Nations, tour Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site after dark and sleep under the stars in Parks Canada's new oTENTik camping experience. What a way to end the school year!
The winning class was one of the many Grade 8 / secondary 2 classes across the country who created amazing videos on the importance of Parks Canada places to Canadians, focusing on its natural and historical significance. The prize includes meals, accommodations and airfare to and from Victoria on board Air Canada, a proud national supporter of the contest. This year, the contest is also supported by Church & Dwight Canada Corp., the makers of ARM & HAMMERTM.
- Canada's Coolest School Trip is a contest offered through the My Parks Pass program. My Parks Pass is a collaborative program between Parks Canada, Canadian Geographic Education, Canadian Wildlife Federation, Nature Canada and Historica Canada. The program invites youth to learn about Canada's natural and cultural heritage and experience Parks Canada places first-hand.
- The contest was open to all Grade 8 and secondary 2 classes in Canada and ran from October 2013 to February 2014. There were a total of 38 videos submitted. A panel of judges selected the winning entry from the ten videos that received the most public votes online.
- The Gaspésie region also rallied behind Gaspe Polyvalent. Out of 38 schools, they received the third most votes.
- The trip will take place from June 2-6.
- Three runner-up prizes were awarded to classes at the following schools: Toronto Waldorf School, Montague Intermediate School and Northside Christian School. These three classes have won an action-packed day-trip to a special natural or historic place near them.
- For additional information and for the full contest rules and conditions, or to view the video entries, visit www.myparkspass.ca.
"Thank you to all the students and teachers who put the time and effort into creating these fantastic videos. Your creativity has helped shine a light on our natural and historical treasures and showed the importance of protecting and visiting these beautiful places."
Canada's Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada
News Release - Canada's Coolest School Trip Contest Launched (November 7, 2013)
News Release - Lucky Grade 8 Class from Saskatchewan Wins Canada's Coolest School Trip (April 8, 2013)
SOURCE Parks CanadaFor further information:
Office of the Minister of the Environment