Saskatchewan's Largest Professional Theatre Facility Receives Federal Funding - Government supports Persephone Theatre expansion and renovation
SASKATOON, Feb. 7, 2014 /CNW/ - Persephone Theatre is receiving $387,161 from the Government of Canada to expand and renovate the Remai Arts Centre.
Maurice Vellacott, Member of Parliament (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin), today announced the funding on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages Shelly Glover.
Upgrades to Persephone Theatre's facilities will foster greater artistic creativity and increased opportunities for innovative theatrical presentations. In addition, other local performing arts groups will have greater access to production and rehearsal space.
- Persephone Theatre is the largest modern professional live theatre facility in Saskatchewan.
- Founded by Janet and Susan Wright and Brian Richmond in 1974, Persephone Theatre will celebrate its 40th anniversary season in the fall of 2014.
- Funding announced today is provided through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund. This program of the Department of Canadian Heritage seeks to improve physical conditions for artistic creativity and arts presentation or exhibition. It is also designed to increase access for Canadians to performing arts, visual arts, media arts, museum collections, and heritage displays.
- Specific improvements include:
- reconfiguring the second stage and increasing seating to 160 places from 100
- expanding production space, workshop area, dressing rooms and storage space
- adding a multi-purpose room to use as a theatre school classroom and rehearsal space
- installing specialized equipment, including flexible seating, lighting and sound equipment, stage masking and an assistive system for the hearing impaired
"Our Government understands that supporting arts and culture is
essential to our communities, our identity and our economy. We are
pleased to invest in these important renovations to Persephone
— Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
"Persephone Theatre is a leader in Saskatchewan's cultural and artistic
community, and the Government of Canada is proud to support the
expansion of its facilities. This initiative will help increase
opportunities to present outstanding theatre productions to residents
—Maurice Vellacott, Member of Parliament (Saskatoon-Wanuskewin)
"Persephone Theatre is greatly pleased with this incredible show of
support for our activities. Our artistic community, patrons, the City
of Saskatoon and the province will benefit from this assistance for
many years to come. It ensures we continue to be able to provide
professional quality productions, accessible theatre, contribute to our
incredibly vibrant community and develop Saskatchewan's next generation
of talent to showcase throughout the province and the rest of Canada."
—Hugh Neilson and Del Surjik, General Manager and Artistic Director of Persephone Theatre
SOURCE Canadian HeritageFor further information:
Follow us on Twitter: @CdnHeritage
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
Francine D. Lefebvre
Regional Communications Manager
Prairies and Northern Region