Toronto needs love, but Vancouver is forever
'Cities We Love' survey shows the destinations tapping into Canadian heartstrings
TORONTO, Feb. 5, 2014 /CNW/ - We all love something, whether it's family, friends, pets, food or, if you're a traveller, a certain city. In honour of the season of amour, the travel experts at Hotels.com® took a look at Canadians' love affair with cities around the world. According to the 'Cities We Love' survey, these popular destinations continue to woo us:
City that needs the most love: Toronto
- The biggest city in Canada has had a rough year - from antics of its colourful mayor to the intense ice storms in January which left thousands of Torontonians without power. The runner up is Albertan city, Calgary, which also experienced Mother Nature's wrath with devastating floods last summer.
City to stay in 'til death do us part: Vancouver
- If you're going to stay forever, most people say the west coast is the place. With its laid back lifestyle and mild climate, what's not to love? Following behind this green-living city are Toronto and Paris.
City that's hardest to break up with: Paris
- Ooh la la! Maybe it's the blinding romantic nature of this city that makes you hold on, but whatever it is, the City of Light kept its grip on our hearts and was the first choice for Canadians.
City to not introduce to the parents: Las Vegas
- With its 24-hour nightlife and 'What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas' slogan, this city doesn't come off as the most trustworthy companion, making the destination a clear leader with half of the votes.
City with the most charm: Montreal
- When you're looking for a little slice of Europe but don't have the vacation time, Montreal is the perfect alternative oozing culture, cuisine and charisma - and who doesn't love the accents? Not surprisingly, Paris was a close runner up.
About the Survey: Conducted by Google Consumer Surveys between January 31 - February 4, 2014. Each question sampled at least 1,200 unique, randomly sampled internet users across the Google Consumer Surveys publisher network.
Hotels.com (also known in Canada as Hotels.ca) is a leading online accommodation booking brand. Through the Expedia, Inc. global network of websites, Hotels.com, LP connects travellers with more than 240,000 properties around the world, ranging from international chains and all-inclusive resorts to local favourites and bed & breakfasts, together with all the information needed to book the perfect stay. Hotels.com, LP benefits from one of the largest hotel contracting teams in the industry, obtaining the best rates for its customers, and offers frequent sales, special deals and promotions. There are more than 10 million genuine Guest Reviews on the websites from users who have actually stayed in the hotels to ensure customers can make an informed choice when booking. Through Hotels.com, LP's industry-leading loyalty program Welcome RewardsTM, customers can earn a free* night for every 10 nights stayed at more than 90,000 hotels. Under its Best Price Guarantee†, if a customer can find the same deal for less on a prepaid hotel, Hotels.com, LP will refund the difference. Travellers can book online or by contacting one of the multilingual call centers. Special apps for mobile phones and tablets can also be downloaded at http://ca.hotels.com/deals/mobile_ca/ enabling customers to book on the go with access to 20,000 last minute deals. Hotels.com publishes an award-winning twice-yearly review of international hotel room price trends called the Hotels.com Hotel Price Index™, which is now produced in 31 individual country editions, with North American data available at www.hotel-price-index.com. Follow Hotels.com on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Hotels.comCA, on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/hotelsdotcomca and on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/hotelsdotcom. More Hotels.com news is available at: http://press.hotels.com/en-ca/. Hotels.com, LP is part of Expedia, Inc., the largest online travel company in the world with an extensive portfolio that includes some of the world's best-known brands.
Hotels.com, Welcome Rewards Finding You the Perfect Place and the Hotels.com logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotels.com, LP. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners. © 2014 Hotels.com, LP. All rights reserved. CST # 2083949-50
*Your free night is good at any Welcome Rewards eligible property. The maximum value of your free night is the average daily rate of your ten (10) nights. Your free night does not include taxes and fees.
† Best Price Guarantee on hotel bookings. If you find a lower price on exactly the same stay elsewhere, we'll match it or let you cancel your booking without a penalty. Terms and conditions apply.
Image with caption: "If you're looking for a lifelong commitment, Vancouver could be the city for you (CNW Group/Hotels.com)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20140205_C7731_PHOTO_EN_36321.jpgFor further information: