Ontario Trillium Foundation Joins the Weston Family Parks Challenge
The Ontario Trillium Foundation will collaborate with The W. Garfield Weston Foundation & Toronto Park People to invest in Toronto's parks
TORONTO, Jan. 30, 2014 /CNW/ -
The Weston Family Parks Challenge is supporting transformational projects for parks in Toronto. This $6.125 million initiative, now in its second year, has the scope and scale to change the way Torontonians engage with parks, by facilitating innovative partnerships which will ensure our urban greenspaces have a bright and vibrant future.
Today's funding announcement from the Ontario Trillium Foundation is in addition to the continued investments of The W. Garfield Weston Foundation. The Weston Family Parks Challenge is guided by the vision and expertise of Park People, Toronto's non-profit catalyst for better parks.
Great parks are essential to Toronto's health and vitality. For many people living in Toronto, urban parks are their only connection to nature, providing a break from their busy lives. The innovative partnerships created with this program will pave the way for a new era of investment in the long term sustainability of our parks.
- Toronto is home to 20,500 acres of parks that are at the heart of neighbourhoods and communities.
- The W. Garfield Weston Foundation is investing $5 million over three years in Toronto greenspaces through the Weston Family Parks Challenge.
- The Ontario Trillium Foundation, an agency of the Ontario government, will join this partnership with an investment of $1.125 million.
- View the video announcement here
"The success of the Weston Family Parks Challenge's first year shows that there is great passion and commitment to sustaining Toronto's greenspaces. We are thrilled that the Ontario Trillium Foundation shares these goals and will offer additional funding to worthy projects over the next two years."
- Camilla Dalglish, Chair of The W. Garfield Weston Foundation's Conservation Committee
"It's our hope at the Ontario Trillium Foundation that, by working with amazing partners like the Weston Foundation and Park People, we can make a real impact on Toronto parks and greenspaces. Collaboration can move the dials, and make measurable change."
- Andrea Cohen Barrack, CEO of the Ontario Trillium Foundation
"This is an exciting new addition to The W. Garfield Weston Foundation's initial landmark donation to parks in Toronto. This investment will bring new ideas and new resources to help make Toronto's parks the best they can be."
- Dave Harvey, Director of Toronto Park People
"This is great news for City of Toronto parks, where we work with the positive energy and ideas from community groups, and combine them with our staff expertise to make great things happen. We look forward to continuing to work with the Weston Foundation and now with a new partner, the Trillium Foundation, to build on our collaborative approach and improve the public experience in City of Toronto parks."
- Richard Ubbens, Director, Parks for Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation.
SOURCE Ontario Trillium FoundationFor further information:
Ontario Trillium Foundation
email@example.com or 416 963 4561
Toronto Park People
firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-583-5776