Union Gas reminds customers to keep gas meters and external exhaust outlets for appliances free from ice and snow
CHATHAM, ON - Jan. 27, 2014 /CNW/ - With heavy snow falls occurring across Ontario, Union Gas reminds customers that it is important to keep snow and ice from building up and covering your gas meter and the external vent pipes for furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters and clothes dryers.
"Clearing snow and ice away from the gas meter and the external exhaust outlets for your fuel-burning equipment helps ensure that both the meter and your appliances function safely," said Mike Shannon, vice president of distribution operations for Union Gas. "It also allows us to access the meter in the case of an emergency."
A gas meter covered in snow or ice can impede its function of controlling the pressure of the gas supplied to your home, which could lead to serious risks. Plugged external exhaust vents can cause the carbon monoxide emitted by these appliances to build up in your home.
If you notice your meter or external appliance vent pipe is covered with snow, please remove the snow carefully with either a brush or broom. Do not scrape your meter or vent pipe with a sharp instrument and this may cause unintended damage.
Union Gas reminds customers of these additional safety precautions:
- Do not shovel, plow or blow snow up against the meter or vent pipe;
- Be careful not to bump your meter with a snow blower;
- Never kick your gas meter or vent pipes in an attempt to clear ice and snow; and
- Remove any icicles from overhead eaves troughs to ensure dripping water does not splash and freeze on the meter or vent pipe.
For more information visit uniongas.com/safety. To report an icing problem with your meter, or for any other natural gas emergency, call 1 877 969-0999.
SOURCE Union Gas LimitedFor further information:
Andrea Stass, Manager, External Communications and Media Relations
Ph: 519 436-5490 or 1-800-571-8446 ext. 5005490
Cell: 519 365-1010